[1]

Seven straight days; an entire week

Fog didn't last that long, did it? It was funny how something as simple as fog made me question my sanity.

The fog that blanketed my hometown was like a nagging fly. Except instead of the buzzing of wings, this silently hummed in the background, surrounding us like a thousand, invisible eyes.

The silence that permeated along with the misty void was otherworldly, like the fog itself absorbed sound. Even the summer bugs stopped buzzing. Which was probably the most obvious sign that the fog wasn't natural, as it was cicada season. Which meant every night up until a week ago had been filled with the insects chittering their mating calls all through the night.

Now, it was nothing. Silence. And fog.

Sometimes, when standing on my front porch, I wondered if I had gone deaf -– if I breathed quietly enough, I literally heard nothing. It would be the sudden squirrel scurrying on tree bark, or the random car driving by that would reinvigorate my heart to remind myself that I could still hear, but for some reason...everything was silent.

I say for some reason, because no one in my small hometown of Kessington, New York could remember what had happened, or how this first developed.

All we knew was that one morning, we all woke up to this fog...and its appearance.

"You heading home?" Leon asked, placing a hand on his gun belt

"You heading home?" Leon asked, placing a hand on his gun belt. He was the town's sheriff and slept every night next to the Eye.

I sniffed and scratched my nose. "Yup. Gotta go pretend like things are somewhat normal for the evening. Might even have a glass of wine," I said, feeling its presence to my left, but daring not to look.

Instead, I glanced the other way, eyeing the playground of Jackson Elementary where I used to play as a kid. Whereas I used to be able to see the school in the background, all I could see today was the swing set, blanketed by a wispy veil, never able to see more further than fifty feet.

We were at the elementary school on the seventh day because that was simply where the Eye appeared, right in the soccer field. Everyone crowded around like a bunch of desperate groupies, waiting for anything to be different.