13. Interrogation

Start from the beginning

I wanted to learn everything about him. There was still so much to learn...

"Hi," I said quietly after stopping right in front of him.

He pulled me into a tight hug and took a deep breath. "How did it go?" he asked when I pulled back, his hand still resting on my arm.

I shrugged and sighed. "Jack's souls are weaker now, but Arch came to the rescue."

I tried to give Arch a smile as well, but he was busy peering over his shoulder.

"You should be resting," Jaden told him, letting go of my arm to grab Arch's. "Hey? Are you listening?"

"Hmm?" Arch turned to look at him. "Yeah, sure."

"Sure?"

"Whatever you want," he mumbled absentmindedly, turning to look away again – toward Jack.

"I said you should be resting," Jaden repeated, stepping in front of him.

"I'm fine," Arch muttered.

"Are you really?" Jaden asked.

Arch peered at Jaden's arm, his torn jacket. "I'm sorry I attacked you..."

"That's not what I'm worried about. You got pulled into a nightmare. Selene told us everything that happened."

"A nightmare, huh..." Arch muttered, but didn't look like he cared much.

"Are you sure you're all right?" Jaden asked with a frown.

"He's just worried over Jack," I said quietly.

"I feel so... Powerless," Arch sighed, finally giving his attention to us. "I understand he needs more time and space, but... I just want to talk to him. I want to understand."

We were all silent for a moment, but then Jaden sighed.

"I can see you're worried, but how do you actually feel about him?" he asked.

"I... I don't know, that's why I want to talk to him," Arch said, sounding frustrated.

"That's kind of selfish, isn't it?" Jaden said slowly, and Arch squinted his eyes at him, so he continued, "You need answers, I get it, but he's fighting for his life. One small wrong reaction from you could destroy his spirits."

"I know, that's why I'm staying away from him," Arch said, now sounding a little bit angry. "I know I need to wait until he's better."

"Arch..." Jaden sighed, shaking his head. "Don't go to him. At all. Just forget him, all right?"

"Jaden?" I frowned at him, resting my hand on his arm. "His presence stopped Jack's spirits from crumbling. If Arch stops trying to see him now–"

"Then Jack still has a chance," Jaden said, interrupting me. But he was still staring at Arch. "You will kill him if you go see him."

"Thanks, brother," Arch hissed at him.

"How do you feel about him?" Jaden asked again.

"I already told you! I don't know!"

"How do you feel about him?"

"I don't know!"

"How do you feel about Jack Thorn?" Jaden asked for the third time, crossing arms over his chest.

Arch stared at him for a moment, then looked away, rubbing his chin in frustration. He didn't reply to Jaden.

"He already gave his life for you and by some goddamn miracle he's still alive. He doesn't need your questions. If you want answers, you need to figure them out on your own," Jaden said quite harshly. "But don't go to him with your questions. He doesn't owe you anything. No answers, nothing."