Night School

~~~

I pull my phone out of my pocket  and I click on Braeden's contact. "Please answer, please answer, please answer-" the line clicks.

"Tessa? Is something wrong?"

"Yes, or at least I think so. But I- I don't think I should say it over the phone but I need you to pick me up."

"Yeah bu-"

I hang up after that. I grip the Blue Quartz ring and take a deep breath. I hear a knock on the door.

"Tessa? Are you in there?" Sarah asks.

"Y-yeah, I'll be out in a minute." I say, my voice shaking.

"Is everything alright?" Sarah asks.

I swallow. "Just give me a minute."

I grip the edges of the sink and try to calm my breathing. I look in the mirror, my face is pale, and I'm shaking. I try to think about something that could help.

Deaton told me that if I focus enough magic, I would be able to do a spell. When I asked him about an incantation he just told me that 98% are in latin. Convenient.

I concentrate until I feel my magic rushing through my body, I put my hands to my head and whisper the incantation.

"Cessabit."

Nothing happens, so I try again. This time I focus my magic onto the words that come out of my mouth.

"Cessabit."

Almost immediately I feel a cooling sensation rush over me. The panic is still there but it's not as overwhelming. I check the mirror to make sure there is no sign of magic then open the door.

"Are you okay?" Sarah asks.

    "Yes-well no, but yes." I say.

    Sarah puts her hand on my shoulder. "Hey look, you only have about 30 minutes left of your shift, why don't you go ask Marcus if you can leave."

    I look around the shop, one person studying, and another staring out the window with a half full iced drink.

    "Will you be alright?" I ask.

    "I'll be fine." Sarah insists. "Do you know where his office is?"

    I nod. "T-thanks."

    "No problem." Sarah gives me a gentle push towards the back.

    I walk into the back, and knock on Marcus' door.

    "Come in!" A male voice says.

    I open the door and take a single step inside.

    "Holy- Tessa are you alright?" Marcus stands up slightly.

    "M-maybe, I h-honestly don't know." I say. "I was wondering if I could leave early."