17

Sadie couldn't wait to show Jett what she found for him. They met back up front twenty minutes later.

"Hi, baby," Jett greets, holding something behind his back. Whatever Sadie had was quite small, cupped in her tiny hands. "Ready to see what I found?"

"Let's trade at the same time," Sadie said with an eager smile.

Jett could only please her, so he counted to three and they closed their eyes and swapped items.

In Sadie's hands was a vintage denim jacket with red flannel sewn into the distressed spots. It was exactly her style.

In Jett's hand was a figurine of a blackbear wearing a cliche sheet ghost costume.

"Because you're my teddy bear who hunts ghosts," Sadie whispered, a faint blush appearing on her cheeks.

He loved it. It was perfect. He could take it everywhere and be reminded of his adorable girl.

Jett bought Sadie's jacket, and Sadie bought the bear. He wouldn't even let them put the figurine in a bag. He just wanted to hold it.

Sadie couldn't get over the puppy look on Jett's face as he cradled the thing like a baby. She loved her jacket. She found it m thoughtful and she couldn't wait to wear it, but there was something so raw in Jett's reaction.

"Nobody's ever given me something this special," he said eventually. "It's my good luck charm now. It's like always having a piece of you with me."

Sadie ducked her head shyly. That was the sweetest thing anybody had ever said to her. She didn't even know how to respond.

Jett knew what he said overwhelmed her, but he found it cute that he made her speechless. He truly adored the bear, but the fact that it gave him a glimpse of how Sadie sees him warmed him all over. He had made mistakes and treated her so wrong, yet she still saw him as a teddy bear.

The thing with Sadie was that she wasn't verbally affectionate. It flustered her to say things out loud, so now he felt like he was understanding that she shows her feelings through actions.

They arrived at a restaurant for lunch. The parking lot was packed, so Jett told her they could eat inside or take it back to the hotel. He figured she would want to take it to go.

"Do you want to be seen with me?" Sadie asked curiously, tilting her head to look at him.

Jett furrowed his brows. Did she think he was ashamed of her? She didn't seem upset, but was she?

"I'm not upset," Sadie smiled, taking the thoughts out of his head. "I just want to know."

"Of course I want to be seen with you," Jett said. "I just don't want you to be overwhelmed."

Sadie shrugged, "I'll be okay if you're with me."

Jett smiled. He couldn't resist tilting her head towards his so he could kiss her. She was so sweet.

He made sure to slide in the booth right beside her instead of across from her so that she was hidden from site because of his towering frame. She stayed relaxed, and they had a nice lunch.

"Jett, don't you have some kind of routine to get your head in the game for tonight?" Sadie asked when they got to the hotel.

He gave a little hum, setting her bag down on the bed, "I do, but it's really private, so I am going to skip it for tonight."

"No way," she said. She did not want to be the cause of any issue with his investigation. She didn't want to mess anything up, screw with any routines. She hated when someone messed up her schedule. "I can go somewhere so you can do what you need to do."

"Baby, you just traveled across the country to be with me and I am already leaving you alone tonight," Jett said, wrapping her up in a hug.

"It's not a big deal. I can take your car for a bit and come back right before you leave," she replied honestly. Some time with him was better then no time. She knew he had things to do, and she respected his privacy.

"You're amazing," Jett murmured, pressing his lips to her forehead, "I think I am the luckiest guy in the world."

"I know. I'm such a catch," Sadie said dryly, without thought. Jett couldn't resist throwing his head back to release the laugh that bubbled up.

Sadie smiled at hearing him laugh. She loved hearing the sound, loved seeing the way it lit up his features.

She wanted to tell him that she was lucky too, that he made her the happiest she had ever been, but the words got caught in her throat. Hopefully she would be able to work up the courage to tell him.