Chapter 9: The Siren's Song

Start from the beginning

"D-Did everyone else hear that?" Hunk asked, gripping his Bayard tighter.

"Hear what?" Pidge and Allura asked simultaneously.

"That sound! That long shriek or something!" Hunk jittered slightly.

"I heard it, too..." Lance said, arming his own Bayard.

"So did I," Keith said silently, Mathias nodding.

"I don't like this... proceed with caution," Mathias said as he gripped his rifle and continued onward, the rest of the group following. The Paladins entered the complex, which was littered with the remains of drones and old Galran soldiers. The only thing that remained of them was their clothes, skeletal remains and weapons. Hunk covered his helmeted head, as if he was going to throw up, everyone else shivered and pushed forward. The power level of the complex was low, forcing the Paladins to use their flashlights to see in the dark. The place looks deserted.

Pidge pulled up a map of the complex, "the source of the signal is just a little further ahead."

The sound roared again, this time much louder than before. All of the guys gripped their heads in pain, panicking remaining three.

Mathias gripped the side of his head slightly, "it's stronger than before!"

"What's going on here?!" Pidge shouted as she helped Keith up, and the two assisted Hunk up.

"I don't know... but we have to stop it before it gets worse!" Keith said as sweat poured on his face.

"We don't even know what you guys are talking about! Allura and I don't hear anything!" Pidge shouted.

"It appears that this sound is only affecting us males," Mathais said as he rubbed the back of his head.

"Okay... Let's figure out what's causing this before it kills us..." Keith said as he gripped his Bayard.

"It sounded like a song..." Mathias suddenly said. Everyone looked at him with a confused look, "that sound... it sounds like... music..."

"Yeah... now that I think about it... it did sound like music..." Lance said as he stretched.

"We need to know what we're dealing with. Mathias, you're the fastest one here, can you find a control port and download any information you can?" Keith asked, Mathias nodded and readied the thrusters on his back, before launching down the halls of the Galran complex. He looked at the rest of the Paladins, "alright, let's move!"

Pidge didn't understand what was going on, why were the guys being affected by... whatever is going on here? This was a Galran installation... Perhaps this was the result of something that managed to get loose from their custody and now could be a threat to both them and the Empire.

The Paladins then approached a giant hangar, one with a cruiser that was stationed within it. It was slightly smaller than the usual battlecruisers they were used to fighting, but the shape was recognizable.

"Are they experimenting with their ships?" Allura asked.

"It looks like it... but, where's the Galra?" Keith asked, staring at the ship in the hangar.

Pidge raised her arm and activated a holoscreen, doing several movements with her hands before saying, "I'm still not detecting anything. No Galran life signatures, no Drone energy signatures, nothing! It's like they disappeared!"

"...or died off..." Lance muttered to himself as they continued to walk onward down a hallway.

"Guys? You read?" Mathias' voice echoed through the comms.

"We hear you, go ahead," Keith said as he peaked around a corner, but no one was down the hall.

"I made it to an information console, beginning to download any information I can," Mathias said.

"Good, have anything for us so far?" Keith asked as everyone rounded the corner.