Chapter 14 New Life

After that incident with Wojciech, Boleslaw's father I was able to relax a bit as I became his nurse, while he recovers from what I suspect was a heart attack. unfortunately, the incident didn't earn me the title of a healer, but rather a witch... they say I brought Wojciech back into life by sharing my spirit with him...

I have been staying at their house now a second week and today Arne is supposed to pick me up and take me to my people... That perspective scares me a bit...

I am all packed. I got a bag and I managed to pack in it my Egyptian wedding dress, Michael's jacket with all the gadgets and eggs. I have been gifted the dress I am now wearing, which keeps me warm. I take a last look at the room I have slept in and felt safe in the last couple of weeks and closed the door behind me.

I give the cook my instructions regarding Wojciech's diet. They are quite puzzled about salad and fruit and vegetables... most people here eat meat, dairy, honey and beer. I ordered for him to have fish at least twice a week instead of pork. And whatever greens they can get him... hopefully this will grant him few more years of life...

Once I say my goodbyes and thank all the household for the care they have given me I get on a horse and leave with Arne. As we reach the gates Boleslaw joins us on his horse saying

"I decided to take you myself to your people, wouldn't want you to get lost or something on your way." I smiled at him and we rode mostly in silence.

We join a large group of men outside of the city and with them we travel through the countryside all day, only making short stops to eat. At the evening we stop somewhere in the middle of a forest and make camp. I think I am the only woman here as some men are giving me a disgusting look. I sleep between Arne and Boleslaw. I notice that they are trying to keep my presence on the low, and they are very protective of me. I feel safe.

We travel for four days. Luckily the next few nights we are able to sleep at various towns and villages, so there are opportunities for a bath and a comfortable bed.

The further we move away from Gniezno, the hope of seeing Michael and my family ever again is fading. I know that Michael could be anywhere he wanted on the globe, in any time, but how would he know where to find me, if I keep on moving?

I am trying to keep these thoughts at bay, reminding myself that at the moment I just need to survive today and hopefully tomorrow there will be an opportunity to go back home...

On the fifth day, we get to a town filled with soldiers. I am a bit surprised to see that both men and women are in this army. This made me realise that this is the Vicing army... the Varangians, supossedly my people...

I guess my time has run out...

We are told where to go, to meet with the leader here and to let him know of our arrival. Boleslaw and Arne I think were hoping that my father would be here and they are repeating that they will be asking around for him.

When they go off to talk with other men I decide to have a drink and sit down, to gather my thoughts...

What will I say? Will they kill me if they find out that my father is not one of them and in fact he doesnt exist? I should stick to my lies, we travelled, he was taken by his enemy and now is possibly dead, so I now should wish to get back to my home...? I am being pulled out of my thoughts by a woman that sits next to me and starts talking.

"The last few battles were not too bad, werent they?" she says, looking up and down at me

"I wouldnt know, I have just arrived here"

"Where from?"

"Gniezno"

"Are you a Polan lady?"