"Because it's the truth," Mrs. Hathaway said with a stern look on her face.

"Oh, you wanna know the truth! You shouldn't be talking about Dad because you're not that perfect either!"

"What is that supposed to mean?" Mrs. Hathaway asked.

"You got pregnant with me at sixteen after a month of dating dad, and you blamed me for making you and Dad drop out of highschool!"

"What else were we supposed to do, Gabriella? I can't go to school and take care of you at the same time!" Mrs. Hathaway yelled.

"Adopt her into another family," Jane muttered under her breath.

"You had Grandma!" Gabriella yelled back.

"She said she didn't want to do anything with you," Mrs. Hathaway said.

"Well, like I said-" Jane started to say it again, but Emma put her hand over her mouth.

"And you always start fights with Dad!"

"Because while I was working two jobs, your father is always getting shit-faced!"

"What's shit-faced?" Paul whispered to us.

"He was always getting drunk," Layla whispered back.

"And also while I was working two jobs to get some money for food, bills, and clothes for you and Layla, he was sleeping around with other women—two who he almost got pregnant!" Mrs. Hathaway said.

"I just wanna go home," Jack said.

"Well, maybe he wouldn't have if you weren't pushing him into doing those things," Gabriella said.

Mrs. Hathaway scoffed. "You think I pushed him into doing those things?"

"Well, I wasn't the one that was with him," Gabriella said with a smirk.

"This is also the reason why you're just like your father—you blame me for everything too!" Mrs. Hathaway yelled.

"You're the one who kicked him out of the house!"

"Because I was sick and tired of him getting drunk and being unfaithful! If you knew what it was like to be with that man, you understand!"

Layla started to cry and left the room.

"Is that why you married Colin? So you can hope you can get over Dad? It's obviously not working because you keep bringing it up."

"I married Colin because I love him. You know, sometimes I wish he would've taken you with him because I'm sick of raising an ungrateful bitch!"

Tears started to come out of Gabriella's eyes and she left the room.

"And you're grounded for another two weeks!" Mrs. Hathaway called after her.

"Carla, that was too far," Mr. Hathaway said.

"Honey, she was disobeying us and was being-" She took a deep breath and put her hand over her stomach.

"Honey, you should probably sit down," Mr. Hathaway said.

"Yeah, that's a good idea." Mrs. Hathaway sat down on one of the chairs. "Now you kids get out. Now!"

While everybody else is leaving, I look back where Gabriella has walked off. I couldn't help but feel bad about what happened. Gabriella was being rude to her mom, but her mom also said some harsh words to her.

"C'mon, Chris. Let's go," I heard Brian say.

I felt him grabbing my arm and trying to take me with him, but I couldn't move.

"Chris?"

I freed my arm from him and walked into the hallway.

"Chris?" Brian called.

I continued to walk down the hallway and bumped into Layla, who just came out of the bathroom.

"Oh, hey," I said.

"Hi." Her eyes are red from all the crying.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yes, I'm fine, Chris. This happens sometimes." She wiped her tears with her long sleeve.

"Okay. Which room is Gabriella's?"

"Oh, you shouldn't be bothering her when she's in a bad mood."

"Layla, please. I need to talk to her."

Layla sighed. "Room's right there." She pointed to the one across from the bathroom. Shit, that's the room Brian and I were in. "If you excuse me, it's my turn to put the boys in bed." She walked into the room that's next to the bathroom and shut it.

I went to Gabriella's room and stopped when I heard sniffling through the door. Is she crying? I opened the door and found her sitting by the bed Brian and I were on, with her head down.

♥️♥️♥️

Feel free to comment if you like.