CHAPTER 1: Ignorance Is A Bliss

The oak clock beside the door of my cabin ticked every second, its sound resonating through the quiet room. I could feel my round glasses bruise the bridge of my nose since I was wearing it for so long. Flipping through the pages, I looked into the provided data about my patient. The case wasn't exactly a strange one. This man became a business man at a young age and now was known as one of the top ten known businessmen in the city. Such a position comes with great responsibility. Great responsibility comes with great work, which might lead to cause a damage to the mental health.

Time flew by and after thirty minutes of studying, I slid the file away along with my glasses at the corner of my marble desk and groaned leaning back into my office chair. I closed my eyes and relaxed like that for a while. My cabin was my safe place. Its green walls, many of times, eased my, if, mundane mood and help me unwind. It helps my patients relax too, serving its purpose.

My phone started ringing, which jolted me up. I reached out towards it and pressed the green button instantly when I read the ID and realised that it was the organiser of the appointment for my next patient.

''Hi, good morning,'' I wished cheerfully. I also straitening up instinctively.

''Hello, a very good morning to you too!'' the old lady merrily begin. Her voice was soft and kind. ''My grandson is on his way for the appointment. Please don't mind if he's a bit rude. He's a moody one.''

I sighed and smiled, ''It is my job to treat such people as a psychologist. I'm sure I can handle it,''

''I know you can. I've read about you. You're too good,'' The lady laughed and I found myself smiling along.

''Thank you, Ms Smith,'' I thanked with a friendly chuckle.

''Oh, call me Nona. Everyone calls me Nona.'' She snickered.

I smiled, ''Right, Nona. Goodbye,''

''Bye and all the best with my arrogant grandson,''

I laugh quietly when she hung up on that note. He can't be that bad, I believed. I was rooting on this appointment. I had been a psychologist for a couple of years now, and had successful achievements over the past years. Treating patients and making them feel liberated and pleased about themselves is one of the things that I genuinely enjoy doing. It cheers me up when someone contacts me not through the hospital authority, but personally. And the upcoming case was one of those rare ones. Today, I was going to start a treatment of a, let's say, business celebrity. Because in no way my appearing patient was not famous. So, I was thrilled. A little nervous, but still, thrilled.

There was knocking on the door. So, I allowed them to enter. There was silence for a few seconds and I thought that the person had changed their mind and left. But the knob was twisted and the door was opened by a man. He looked about my age. He came to a therapy as if he had to attend a deal breaking contract in that dark suit of his, and hair gelled back with even brighter shoes. I refrained myself from rolling my eyes. I was here to build trust and talk through, not make him run with my judgement.

So, to have a good first impression, I smiled and welcomed him inside.

''Welcome,'' I said with a timid smile. ''Please have a seat. You must be Mr Smith,''

''Yes,'' he avoided eye contact and stepped in and sat on one of the two chairs before me, my desk separating us. When he made eye-contact with me, I read the scarcely uneasiness behind his cold, dark orbs which he tried to hide behind the odd tranquilly.

''So, what brings you here?'' I started our conversation on the note of an introduction.

''My grandmother thinks I need a psychologist.'' He leaned back in the chair and rolled his eyes. ''apparently, I need help,''