Plucking the cherry out of an open jar on the counter, Rosé sucks it of the stem. "Jisoo..." She looks sad for a moment. "She may be the boss, but this gang wouldn't exist if it weren't for me." She shakes her windswept hair out of her face, clicking her nails against the counter as she measures out her own memories. "I convinced Jennie and Jisoo to leave Ha-Joon. Be their own masters."

"...Why?"

She licks her lips, taking another swing if her drink before putting the glasses away. "He deserved it. Ha-Joon did." Rosé walks past me, plucking the cup from my hands and setting it aside. "Ah, but that's for another night. I'm tired now."

When her lips press against my cheek, she lingers longer than before. "Let's go to bed." Rosé shoves me back onto the mattress before flopping there next to me. There's enough room for us both to stretch out, but I feel her presence next to me like a low-roaring fire, long after we've fallen asleep.

The order to keep her hands off me is obeyed, but only by he strictest if technicalities. At night we continue to sleep in the same bed, inching closer and closer together.

Today she's bright eyed by the time I exit the shower. "Hey, cutie. I have a surprise waiting for you later today." She hip-bumps me as she passed, and I stumble out of the bathroom. "Get ready."

For the rest of the day she keeps sober, quizzing me harder than before until she decides it's time to unleash the surprise. When she opens the doors to the private casino, the whole gang turns to face us. They're dressed to the nines, looking sleek, polished and dangerous.

"Sit." Jisoo points to the head of the table. Looking to Rosé for confirmation, I head over and do as she says.

Lisa leans in, her face stern and impassive. "Do you know what this is?"

"Is this some kind of gang thing? Am I going to be sworn in? Or beat up? Or something?"

"No, it's not an initiation." Jisoo starts to shuffle the deck, and the test begins. I have only an instant to see the cards in the deck as he shuffles and I miss most of them.

This is closer to a real match than anything I've done with Rosé.

The girls all switch modes, none of the usual playful banter darting across the table. The first few rounds go without incident, the money piling up and getting shuffled off between us.

"So? What do you think?" Jisoo asks.

"Considering the hands we've seen so far, there's only so many different combinations that you have might be able to beat me..."

"Hey, she actually knows how to play." Jennie looks surprised at Rosé, and Rosé grins. "I told you so."

I keep looking at Rosé for help. Even though she's playing against me, she breaks character to wink. "You got this." Underneath the table, she strokes my lower arm. Inspired, and with my blood pumping, I go all in.

"Well, well. She may stand a chance after all." Sunmi says.

"Yeah, as long as Rosie is there to hold her hand." Jennie chuckles. I ignore the quip, playing solely against Jisoo. I know she's the one I have to impress. Jisoo meets my gaze, open corn challenge in her eyes. With a single flip. She slides her hand across the table. "I fold."

I gape at her, and glance down at her hands. "Wait. I won?" "You won!" Rosé hugs me, shaking me from side to side. "Now let's celebrate!"

Lisa gets up, bringing back a bottle of something black and viscous as ink. She pouts us all shots and we drink together.

"Huh! This tastes like licorice."

"It's black absinthe." Lisa smiles.

"It's pretty strong, so be careful with it." To hear that from Jisoo if all people sets this second match into perspective.

We play more poker together, getting rowdier with every shot, and placing bets with whiskey and absinthe instead of money.

So maybe it wasn't an initiation or anything. But I'm starting to feel comfortable here.

I don't even notice the doorbell ringing until Nox starts howling. "Awooo!..."

"... Huh." Lisa looks quite confused at me.

"He's never barked ok Ike that before." I hear an angry snarl, and then a few more anxious barks.

"Wait, what time is it?" Jennie squints at her cellphone, trying to make sense of the numbers. "That might be my new girlfriend!" "Don't let Rosie see her." Sunmi jokes.

Jisoo looks up, gauging my reaction. "Yeah, don't let Jisoo see her, either." "Why?"

Cause you'll make stupid, kiss-blocking rules!

"...Sisters fight over things all the time, you know."

"Hmph."

Jennie stumbles to the doorway, waving us for silence. "Be cool, okay? I really like this girl. I want to impress her." "Maybe she'll be impressed with all the pushups you own me." Jisoo grins. "Still? How hard did she lose?" Rosé chuckles slightly.

Jennie points a warning finger at Jisoo. "Do not answer that." The she vanishes into the main hall. I can hear it when she swings open the door. "Irene!"

A pause

"Wait, you're not Irene."

A strange, male voice speaks up. "Nope. Is Roseanne around?"

When Jennie returns, she's followed by a newcomer. He looks stylish unkempt, his hair dark blue.

Rosé stands up behind me, gently angling me aside. I remember, suddenly, how she had stood between Ha-Joon and I that day we met.

Something about this man gives me the same creeps.

Everyone else senses it too. Lisa draws her gun, stepping closer to also stand between me and the new guy.

"Do I know you?"

His eyes, travel slowly and appreciatively down Rosé's body. "No, but I know you. I thought you'd be cuter. But you're just a washed up drunk, aren't you?"

Bristling with anger, I shove past Rosé to glare down at the newcomer. "And who the hell are you?!"

"Jimin Park. Ha-Joon sent me to check out the competition."