6

Rosé locks up the casino, ensuring our privacy for the rest of the evening.

"Okay babe. Name of the next game is Texas Hold 'Em."

Blowing her cheeks out, Rosé makes pistol fingers and pretends to fire off a few bullets at me. I throw a hand over my chest like I've just been shot.

"Aughh!! Right through the heart!"

Rosé laughs, and I swear I see her cheeks turn red.

"So since this obviously isn't your first rodeo, where do I start?" Rosé points at the bar stool next to her. Rolling my eyes, I take a seat.

"The only thing I know about poker I learned from songs in the radio."

She opens up a bottle of wine and pours out a glass. It's thick and rich as red velvet, and despite myself I long for a sip.

"Striping it down to the basics, poker is just about getting the best five cards. And if you don't have them, you lie straight through your teeth."

She grips the chilled bottle of wine for a moment before pressing her cool fingers against my bare throat. I yelp and slap her hand away. "You have to get a better hold of your emotions, too. A careless mistake and you might wind up falling into a lot of trouble." She's looking me dead on as she says it, serious for once.

I think that advice applies to more than just poker.

After we play a few rounds together, I actually start to enjoy myself.

"You'll get the hand of it, baby girl. Just give it some time."

Sitting as close to me as she is, she only had to swing her leg out a bit to nudge mine. I nudge her back. "This is the most fun I've had with a girl in a while."

" I bet you say that to all your kidnapping victims."

The dark humor strikes the right chord with her, and she laughs under her breath. "Just the cute ones."

She refills her glass, draining the bottle to the very last drop. "Once we win, you can use these skills to become a little hustler yourself."

I gather up the cards, nerves making my hands twitchy. "If I win, I'll go back to my old life as soon as possible."

The gangster expresses neither approval or displeasure. I swallow nervous the knit in my throat, tapping the cards into order. "... So maybe we should take advantage of the moment."

Rosé is definitely buzzed. Not as wild and reckless as when Ha-Joon had banned her from the Black Diamond, but a persistent, low warmth radiates from her as she sits closer to me.

"How so?"

Daring to look up at her eyes, I can't see that energetic glint she gets when she's trying to fluster me. They're dark brown, nearly black, shimmering with desire. Darting up, I try to kiss her only to be met with her fingers instead of her lips.

"Hold up. None of that. Not yet." She traces the outline of my lips once, nIks scratching just down my chin before she retreats a safe distance.

"Don't get me wrong, I love it when a girl gets aggressive. But we're supposed to be working right now. Business first, pleasure later." She waits for me to respond. Swallowing past my wounded pride, I nod quickly and we get back to work with no more distractions.

Rosé plays cold with me for the rest of the night and we'll into next day.

Around lunchtime, I'm with the rest of the gang in the kitchen. Lisa and I feed Box bits of cooked food. Until Rosé waltzes into the kitchen and drags me off, citing work as her excuse while Jisoo mutters under her breath.