Chapter 27

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! I'm so excited! I've finally got a full plot planned for Contaminated, and after I write it I'm going to try to get it published hardcopy. Sorry to any non-Australians, I can't guarantee you'll get to read it until it's published (if it gets published), but when I told Mum my idea she thought it was such an original idea that it could almost be turned into a movie. LIKE... HOLD UP, MUM... THAT'S A BIT FAR FETCHED. So, uh... I highly doubt it'll actually get published, and be, like, successful, so I'm not thinking about ANY movies. But from my mother, that's pretty high praise. I mean, she's sometimes critical, and definitely not the kind of mum who would say everything's perfect, so I'm proud that I made her proud.

Woah. Big author's note there.

Sorry to say this, but there's an even bigger one at the end of this chapter, but it's IMPORTANT! DO NOT MISS IT. IF YOU DO< YOU WILL REGRET IT.

*

"Uh, hello?" An impatient voice causes me to turn away from packing away the newly washed horse rugs in the tack room. From the tone of the voice, mighty and snappy, I can only guess who it might belong to.

Ebony looks quite different when her nose isn't stuck up in the air, and when she doesn't look as if she owns the place.

Oh, right. She does. But still.

"What do you want?" There's no mistaking the hostility in my question. She deserves it. I know for certain she decided that Caspian needed to be sold.

"Jeez, chill out. I'm not about to fire you or anything. Even though I could."

I raise my eyebrows, as if to repeat my question.

"Okay," she sighs. "You are annoying, and since you got here you've basically been the centre of attention," I shake my head and turn away from her, knowing this will just end up with her trying to put me down. "But, but, although I hate to admit it and I'm never, ever saying this again, you're not bad around horses. So maybe I didn't think much of you at first-"

I turn back around to face her. "You basically thought I was some random cowgirl trying to steal your fame, Ebony," I correct her.

She glares at me. "I'm trying to be nice right now. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I do think you know a bit about horses, and I was... wrong about you."

I scoff. Right, a bit. "Why, thanks. It means the world to me that you know that."

"Look, Ollie, it wasn't my fault that Caspian got sold, if that's what you're angry about," she says, looking down. Maybe she does regret it. But I doubt it.

"Well, why then?"

"My mother said we have too many horses. From Royal to Polly and the others, so she wanted to downsize and chose Caspian because I don't ride him."

I'm not surprised by that. I may have only met Royal, Polly and Caspian, bout I've seen Ebony's other horses. And trust me, there's a lot. but that's till doesn't take away the fact she let Caspian- Caspian, who Gus loves; Caspian, who was healed by Gus, and is probably going to have all that hard work taken away- be sold.

"Did you know about the owners'... habits?" I don't know how else to put how they treated poor Caspian. 

"No, I swear," she pleads. For once, she's acting genuine. "Not until the deal was done."

"Fine, then. The grudge is released. But don't think for a second that I'll tolerate you ever hurting Georgia or any of my friends again. Pick on me as much as you like, I don't care, but I do mind when you decide to try and ruin their happiness, too."