18 | Stop (II)

Xanthy froze as June hurtled to the ground faster than she wanted him to

Xanthy froze as June hurtled to the ground faster than she wanted him to. Her eyes registered blood. June wasn't flailing like conscious people do when they're falling. The sore spot in her stomach only grew tighter. Something was wrong. She rushed forward, extending her arms to catch June. His body slammed into her, cold. Lifeless.

No...

Xanthy whipped her head from where June fell. All she saw was a spray of white feathers left by one person she knew who wouldn't hesitate to do this. April. Anger boiled in Xanthy's soul. She wouldn't let April get away. She wouldn't—

June coughed weakly, tearing Xanthy from her rage. Tears sprang to her eyes as she realized what April had done to her June. Blood pooled, staining June's tunic dark red and flowing through Xanthy's arms and legs.

"June," Xanthy shook him and got no response. Blood trickled from the corner of his lips. She called his name again. Gone. He's...gone.

Xanthy peered at his trail and saw a tiny flicker. Her eyes widened. It's not too late. Chest tightening and arms heaving, Xanthy hefted June's limp form into her arms and dashed towards the gate. "Clear the way!" she shrieked at anyone who could hear. "Clear the way! Get me Nyxis!"

The gates to the outer quadrant swung open and Xanthy tore through. People who passed her gasped while some rushed with her. Some muttered encouraging words but they all faded in Xanthy's ears. Only one thing mattered. Her breath heaved as her lungs refused to take air. Tears formed a waterfall from her eyes. The infirmary appeared. She was already shouting.

The world turned hazy, blurring at the most important parts. She couldn't...

Someone wrestled June from her. She fell to her knees as they took him away. No. Not him, too.

"Xanthy! Look at me!" someone was calling to her. Who...?

Dark hair. Green eyes that carried urgency. Nyxis. "He's going to be alright, okay?" Nyxis was saying. His words blurred with the rest of Xanthy's vision. He was holding her up on her shoulders. "He's going to be alright."

Xanthy gulped huge lungfuls of air as sobs shook her body. A groaning wail escaped her lips. Not him, too.

"Denara, take care of her," Nyxis turned to somewhere. "Find Eldan or Airese. Get her out of here."

Nyxis let go of Xanthy and she plopped to the ground with no energy running through her muscles. Only her tears flowed from her eyes, wetting the earth until it turned to mud. She didn't know what happened after that. Numb. She's...

"Hey, he'll pull through," Denara strode towards Xanthy and joined her on the bed. When had she been sitting on a bed? Where was she?

"It's alright," Denara put a hand atop Xanthy's and stroked her back in smooth circles with the other. "Nyxis told me he's going to be fine."

Xanthy didn't speak. Her mouth was too dry to do so anyway.

Denara sighed. "It was a tough job but he did well," she said more to herself than to Xanthy. "You should rest."