Chapter 8

ROBBIE

My palms were sweating as I took the exit off the freeway to head into Lawrence. The last time I was in this town I was saying goodbye to my family and friends a couple of weeks after high school. I had plans to follow in my dad’s footsteps and zero intention to ever find myself back here again. I had no reason to come back. Soon after I left, my parents moved for my dad to take a consulting job at the Naval Base in San Diego. There was no reason for me to go back. Hell, I’m still unsure if this is a reason for me to go back, but here I am.

Eli arranged for a bunch of the guys from the team to meet up for dinner tonight, but after driving the last two days, the thing I want more than anything right now is to get into my hotel room and sleep. The hotel we’re staying at is on the far end of town. It is in a newer area that built up in the time that I’ve been gone. I get checked in and unpacked, then basically throw myself onto the bed.

My phone dings and I growl, really just wanting to rest, but I see that it is Eli so I swipe the message open to read the entire thing.

Eli: Hey man, have you checked in yet? I’m about two hours out of town and wondered if you would head over to Serrano’s and see if they can reserve us a table?

Me: Can’t you just call them?

Eli: Come on, it is right next door to the hotel.

Me: Fine. I’ll head over there, but you owe me a six-pack

Eli: You want to see my six-pack? I didn’t realize that you played for that team, but okay.

Me: Not everybody appreciates your body as much as you do, E. I’ll expect payment in alcohol. Specifically beer, more specifically Shock Top.

Eli: You drive a hard bargain, but deal. Thanks, buddy.

My body resisted me getting up, but I slowly got to my feet and grabbed my shit to head next door to this Mexican place that Eli so desperately wanted to have dinner at tonight. It wasn’t that busy, but it was only about 4 o’clock so the lunch rush was gone and the dinner rush hadn’t started. I hung out at the hostess spot for a bit of time, but nobody came that I could talk to, so I made my way over to the bar.

The woman working at the bar looked really familiar, there was no doubt that I probably of her, but since I wasn’t really here for that much of a trip down memory lane, I secretly hoped that she had no idea who I was. My luck ran out though because once she turned around her facial expression was clear that she knew who I was.

“Robbie? Robbie Styes?”

“Uh, yeah that would be me.”

“You don’t know who I am, do you?” She raised her eyebrows at me.

“No, I’m sorry. You look familiar, but I can’t put a name with the face.”

“Not surprised. The name is Carmen, I was friends with Prue Alexander.”

“You were a few grade levels below me, right?”

She nods her head. “Yeah, I was a freshman when you were in your senior year.”

“Ahh that’s right. You were a cheerleader and on the dance squad with Prue.”

“That’s me. Surprised to see you here, not going to lie.”

“Surprised to be here. I’m sure you heard about Coach Perkins though.”

“I did. Pretty much the entire town is planning on being at his funeral the day after tomorrow.”