Chapter 1

CLEMMY

16 YEARS OLD

“Thanks for coming with me, Graham. You’re the best.”

My cousin, Graham, parks his truck in front of the large house, I’d almost be tempted to call it an estate, and glances over at me. “I’m doing this do Uncle Mitch doesn’t kick my ass. Please don’t make me regret this, Clem.”

“Why would you regret this? I know he wouldn’t let me come without you. I’m being honest, thank you.’

“Well, it isn’t like Robbie isn’t my friend too. I’m not exactly doing a hardship, but I swear, if you’re not good I’ll kick your ass myself.”

Graham is more than just my cousin, truth be told he is probably my best friend. We’ve known each other our entire lives, literally, because we share a birthday. The story of our births always makes me laugh. His mom stayed home with our other cousins when my mom went into labor, but she ended up going in labor herself. He’s technically older, something he never lets me live down. We run in the same crowd at school, both a bit on the popular side in our own rights.

Graham plays baseball, even as a freshman he was playing on the varsity team. I’m the academic kid. Student council member, National Honor Society member, and known as a bit of a teacher’s pet. Our high school might be rather small, but our family is pretty well-known, therefore we’re pretty well-known. Part of running in the popular crowd is getting invited to shindigs like this. 

Robbie Styles might be the most well-known person in our high school. He moved here his sophomore year, which was before I knew who he was or was in high school myself, and where my family is known for our huge ranch and wedding business, The Styles family is known for old money and new money. Robbie’s not smug like his parents are though. He’s one of the most down to earth guys that I have ever met. He’s sweet and genuine, he’s funny and smart, he also happens to be my kind of, sort of, like...boyfriend maybe?

I practically skip to the front door, Graham closely following behind me. I read the note on the door that says to come on into the party, so rather than knock I just open the door. The sound of music comes from the backyard, a yard that is in clear view the second we walk into the huge house. A wall of sliding glass doors are opened to create an indoor/outdoor type party. I recognize a lot of the kids from school, but there are also adults and friends of Robbie’s parents. My eyes search the room for one single person though. I look and look until I find him, standing next to the pool table with some of his friends.

As if he feels my presence, his eyes flick up and match with mine, a huge smile spreading across his face. He puts down his pool cue and gives Patrick a pat on the shoulder and then motions my way with his chin. Patrick smiles and waves in my direction, I give him a friendly wave back and my legs begin to carry me in Robbie’s direction. 

“I’m going to be around, remember what I said, kid.” Graham gives me one final warning, although his threat is pretty weak. We had the full conversation with our parents before we were allowed to leave tonight. No drinking, no drugs, be home by midnight, and if we even breathe in or take a sip of one of the above substances we are to call them for a ride. My parents and my aunt and uncle are great parents, but strict. They love us deeply, but they also have high expectations. 

‘Clementine….” Just the way my name falls off his lips makes chills run down my spine. Since I can remember, everybody calls me Clem or Clemmy. Robbie has always preferred to go by my full given name rather than my nickname. 

“Hey, Robbie. You didn’t need to quit your game for me.” I reach up to my tiptoes to give him a kiss on his cheek. His arms wrap around my waist and he doesn’t let me move away.