Welcome Back

Melody always loved the feast before Hogwarts. It gave her motivation for the school year.

Though she loved Hogwarts, there's one person she didn't exactly love: Harry James Potter. She barely tolerated him. Their parents are friends, so they're sometimes forced to hang out. But her best friend, Quinn Parkinson always keeps the peace between them.

Harry Potter was cocky, to say the least. He tried his best to stay humble, but when it came to girls or the quidditch pitch, there were no limits.

As McGonagall went on about the new year and the new expectations, Melody and Quinn whispered to themselves privately.

"Is it just me, or did Potter get kinda hot over the summer?" Quinn asked, keeping her eye on the professor who was beginning to go down the aisles.

"Ew, no," Melody whispered back, not noticing that one of the professors was watching her.

Quinn quietly laughed. "Keep lying to your-"

"Ladies," Filch interrupted quietly, careful not to draw attention. "Detention tomorrow, after class."

Quinn simply rolled her eyes, being used to Filch "picking" on her. Melody's eyes widened, realizing she had just gotten her first-ever detention in four years.

She didn't want to get in any more trouble, so she remained quiet for the rest of McGonagall's speech.

As soon as it was over, Melody rushed to her dorm to finish unpacking from earlier, her mind reeling from getting detention. The only thing she knew about detention was that Quinn got it a lot and that's it.

She knew that the Slytherins were hosting a start-of-the-year party and that all of her friends, including her brother, were there right now.

As much as she wanted to go, she had to finish unpacking and preparing for tomorrow.

Unexpectedly, she fell asleep while preparing, the last thought being her detention tomorrow.

-

Melody woke up earlier than the rest of the dorm the next day. She'd already laid out her uniform with her red and gold tie. After getting ready, she woke up Quinn, who threw a pillow at her.

"Mel, it's like 6 in the fucking morning," Quinn groaned.

"It's 7:30, class starts in an hour." Melody threw the pillow back at her, declaring that she was setting off for breakfast. She always had to parent Quinn, it felt like. She didn't mind waking her up in the mornings, but sometimes she wished she had someone looking after her for once.

Of course, she had Cedric, her older brother. He was far too protective of her, and he made sure everyone in Hogwarts knew it. For years, no boys dared to go near Melody because they didn't want to face the wrath of Cedric Diggory. Harry Potter was the exception, though. And though Cedric joked about how "gross" it'd be if his friend and sister started dating, he was secretly rooting for them.

As Melody entered the Gryffindor common room, she saw Harry, Hermione, and Ron talking. She didn't realize that Harry was such a morning person.

She politely said good morning, purposely ignoring Harry.

"You don't have to pretend I don't exist," Harry surprised her by saying.