𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟎 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐨

Start from the beginning

Ember's last words before her beautiful eyes closed shut were almost indistinguishable and not in any language I knew or even recognised; she told me, "Fred være med deg."

Her body burnt so quickly and so brightly that I was forced to look away until the weight of her body no longer rested in my arms. All that was left of Ember Hestia Milburn was a small pile of dark grey ashes — her remains slipped through my fingers.

Tears wracked my body as I hunched over where she last lay. It almost didn't matter that the pack were here to rescue us; they were too fucking late, and now Ember was... was gone. Dead. She said she'd return — and I'd do what she asked me to, but I could only pray that she would return to me.

Sitting up, I pulled the tube out of my forearm, wincing slightly as the silver burnt my skin. Though the pain was nothing compared to losing Ember.

What people don't realise is that emotional pain is real pain; that's the kind of pain that lasts. It didn't ever seem like there would be an end to the pain I felt over the loss of Ember.

Jason and Ryder rushed over and dragged me up to my unsteady feet.

"How did you find us?" I asked wearily, feeling numb.

"We tracked your scent," Jason told me, wrapping his arms around me, "I'm so glad you're okay."

Tears clouded my eyes; Ember's not okay.

"Where's Ember? What did they do with her?" Ryder asked with his hand on my shoulder. I collapsed to the ground once again.

"They killed her. She's dead." I somehow managed to choke out. "But she thinks — she thought — she told me that she'll return if we keep her ashes."

"We gotta get going!" Jade yelled from the doorway. "They've got reinforcements coming our way — and fast!"

After quickly piling up her ashes, I hastily pulled off my torn t-shirt and wrapped them in that, ensuring I'd gathered up all of them.

Jason dragged me to my feet once again, insisting, "We gotta go, Theo. We gotta get outta here."

My body shuddered as I clutched my balled-up t-shirt to my chest — not from cold, but from fear and pain and a deep-seated sorrow that would hang around my soul for what would feel like forever.

Everything blurred as we left, and before I knew it all of us were in the GMC Sierra and we were driving off.

I stared out the window as the pack talked quietly amongst themselves.

I have nothing to say.

Thankfully, they didn't ask me any questions or even try to include me in their conversations. I wouldn't have had anything to say if they did.

I feel so numb. Number than I'd ever thought possible.

 Number than I'd ever thought possible