"Is he good to you?"

Remus' eyebrows raise, clearly not expecting the question. It's all that matters to me though. I don't mind that he wants to keep their "relationship" between them for the time being, I just hope he's being treated right.

"He treats me nice, Keeks." I haven't seen him look so giddy since letting Violet go. "And I didn't think I'd start to feel this way about anyone again."

"Remus," I step forward and bring him into a hug. He wraps his arms around me and rests his chin on my head. "You deserve this. I'll be looking forward to the day you decide to go public. I'll be the most supportive person there is!"

"I know you will." He presses a kiss to my forehead and we break apart to resume preparing for bed.

"Have you managed to speak to her?" Remus asks me, guiltily. "You know, since we broke up?"

I sigh sadly. "I've given up trying. She's made it clear she doesn't want to talk to me. I think she's afraid I'm upset with her for breaking up with you. She doesn't even want to face me."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to ruin things between you two."

"Don't feel bad, not for this." I smile at him easily. "You never made it a choice but I'd pick you a thousand times over, Remus Lupin. She and I were growing apart before this ever happened anyhow so there's nothing to apologize for."

It's just then that the door comes swinging open and James sticks his head into the room. "What are you two doing in here?"

I wave my glass of water in his face. "Getting ready for bed, what does it look like, Jamie?"

"With the door closed? Sure you weren't making out again?" James cackles evilly as we all exit the bathroom.

"Shut up, James! That was one time and we didn't make out."

"My mistake." He snorts, getting into bed.

I feel my heart flutter in my chest at the sight of Sirius' sleeping figure. He looks so peaceful when he sleeps, like nothing bad has ever happened to him. His chest is bare, rising and falling ever so slowly. He sleeps without a shirt on every night so I lift the blanket up to his chin to keep him warm while he sleeps. And, as softly as possible, I brush a lock of dark hair away from his face and let my thumb run over his cheek. Even unconsciously, he nuzzles his cheek closer to the warmth of my hand. And I feel the corners of my mouth being pulled upward as he smiles just a bit. I tip my head forward to close the gap between us and press the sweetest of kisses to his plump lips.

When I finally tear my eyes away from Sirius, I find James watching me with a lopsided smile.

My cheeks heat up. I hadn't realized anyone was watching.

But as I inspect his face, I find his smile is a sad one. The usual playful sparkle in his eyes dimmed. "I hope someday someone looks at me the way you look at him." He whispers so quietly I almost don't hear it.

I move to sit beside him. "Talk to me."

Those three words are all it takes for him to speak his mind.

"I'm afraid no one will ever love me." I open my mouth to argue that he's wrong and I love him, but he goes on before I get the chance. "You know what I mean. Love me like you and him love each other. I don't need it, I know that. But I look around at what you and Padfoot are like everyday and it just reminds me of what I don't have. I want it, Keeks. I hate admitting it because it's a real weakness of mine, but I want it so badly it hurts. Lily and me...we aren't going to happen. Right? Tell me if I'm wrong. It's been almost six years. Six years of rejection. A man can only take so much before..." He trails off and looks down at his hands. "So tell me the truth. Do I have a chance with her?"