Chapter 10

"Stop resisting"
"No"
"I'm gonna kill you"
"No"
No no no...

"No, No!" I screamed and woke up in a fright. The nightmare had left me breathless, and shaking with terror. Sweat dripped from my temples as I slowly regained consciousness. There was a strong smell in the atmosphere --like a perfume, which made it hard for me to distinguish if it was a dream or not.

I finally opened my eyes and found Agnes standing at the foot of the bed. She returned my gaze with a soft smile.

I moved my eyes and a man was sitting on a chair by my side. I had never seen him before. He looked sophisticated. His round black glasses, thick moustache and side part hair gave him an air of professionalism. I began to wonder who this mysterious man was.

Behind him was Damian--who was sitting on the couch, upright, and elbows resting on his knees and dressed in the usual black attire and looking moody as always.

"Calm down," the man said as he supported me in a sitting posture.

I felt awkward for I had no idea what was happening.

He then took a stethoscope out of his leather bag and began listening to my heartbeat.

So he was a doctor.

While the doctor was inspecting me, Damian's eyes were fixed on me. I could feel him scrutinizing me with his brooding eyes. He looked like he didn't wanna be there.

The doctor put the stethoscope away and started, "Your heartbeat is a bit erratic. It could be the nerves I think. Although your lungs seem to be fine to me. There's a slight fever as well." He took out a paper and started scribbling, "I am prescribing some light medication, because I think it's nothing serious." He handed the prescription to Agnes and started packing his things in his bag.

He was just about to rise from his chair, when he suddenly looked at my wrists and asked, "How did you get these bruises?"

My heart started racing as the voice in my head told me, "Go ahead, tell him the truth."

"It...It's," I stammered, and before I could get the words out of my mouth, Damian had stood up from his seat. "There was an accident."

I looked at him in bewilderment and fear. He met my gaze and I felt threatened. His eyes seemed to be saying, "don't open your mouth or there will be consequences."

"What kind of accident?" The doctor asked.

"She got trapped in the ropes," he answered.

The doctor adjusted his glasses and smirked a little. "How did it happen? It sounds so strange." The question was intended for me.

I felt so frustrated and angry. How badly I wanted to tell him the truth--but there was nothing I could do. My lips were sealed. I helplessly looked at Damian, who was clenching his jaw and urging me to answer the doctor. I sighed and said, "It...it just happened."

"Okay," the doctor said under his breath. He was clearly not impressed by my explanation. "I'm writing down some ointments that you can use on your neck."

He picked up his bag and left. Damian followed him too.

Agnes came over and sat beside me. "How are you feeling?" She asked as she caressed my hand.

"How would I be feeling?" I taunted.

"You seem angry," she stated.

"I don't know how I feel. But tell me, what was that doctor doing here?"

"Master had called him," she said.

"Damian brought a doctor for me?" I wondered.

I angrily pulled my hand away from Agnes and snapped, "First he hurts me, then calls a doctor...what is his problem?" I gritted my teeth as I fumed with rage. "He is so strange!" I hissed.

Agnes looked at the ground and smiled,"He is not strange...he is a mystery."

I looked straight into Agnes' eyes-- showed her my wrists and pointed at the marks, "Well, he sure is a mystery."

After having the morning breakfast in my room, I asked Agnes to give me a Diary or notepad, where I could write my thoughts--since I had nothing else to do except stare at the bleak walls and suffer in my loneliness.

It was noon and strangely the sun was out today. After weeks of rain, thunder and shadowy clouds, the weather was clear today.

But sadly, the sunshine had no effect on me. The storm inside me was raging. I was feeling very strong and unusual emotions running through my body as I paced the room up and down. I usually did that when I felt conflicted.

I was feeling the pull of two strong emotions tugging at each other in my heart.

Why did Damian bring the doctor for me? Why did he suddenly stop last night when he saw my bruised body? Psychopaths don't get bothered by seeing the marks of their violence. They don't call doctors for their victims.

These questions were troubling me as I looked for answers in the dark.

Was he feeling bad for me? .....was there something else in him? Was he not the man that he pretends to be?

"Ughh.. stop thinking about him!" The voice in my head screamed. I held my head in my hands and took a deep breath. "That man has tortured you..and he still does..throw these conflicting thoughts away. He doesn't deserve it," I told myself and walked towards the window.

I stared at the garden. It was a glorious afternoon. I was just looking down at the pond, when Damian appeared out of nowhere. I became attentive. He was shirtless and held an axe in his hand.

He then picked up a thick log of wood and placed it on the chopping block. He pulled his axe straight back over his head and swung it down hard--splitting the wood into two equal pieces.

I flinched as the blade hit the delicate wood and ripped it open.

He then repeated the same process again but this time with more intensity. It didn't look like he was chopping wood for the fireplace--it was something else.

It was the pent up rage inside him that he was taking out on that wood. He was literally tormenting that piece of nature.

I felt my heart beat frantically as I saw him ravaging the wood with his axe. It was like each hit he missed last night on my body, he made it sure it landed on the wood. He was merciless and devoid of any feeling.

He stopped and stuck the axe into the chopping block. I quickly pulled away and hid behind the wall when he turned around, for I didn't want him to see me staring at him.

I slowly snuck a peek at him. He was gone.