𝐈𝐕.𝐗𝐈𝐈

Start from the beginning

The words had hurt Steve, more than he would care to admit.

"I don't mean to make things difficult." Steve reassured the man.

Darla watched as Tony shrugged on his blazer. Her eyes flickered over to Mateo, who was watching from the corner of the room. She had wondered how long he had been there.

"I know, because you're a very polite person." Tony shrugged honestly.

"If I see a situation pointed south, I can't ignore it." Steve replied. "Sometimes I wish I could."

"No you don't." Tony shook his head, causing Steve to smile. The man knew him better than he probably knew himself.

"No I don't." Steve agreed, making Darla chuckle. "Sometimes-"

"Sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth." Tony said aggressively, making Darla burst out laughing. "But, I don't wanna see you gone." He placed his hand on the girls shoulder, making her look up at her. "We need you, Cap," He paused. "You too, Crash?"

It felt odd to call her anything other than 'kid', but the small nickname brought a huge smile onto her face. One that Tony wished he could see every day.

"So far, nothings happened that can't be undone if you sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych-centre instead of a Wakanda prison."

Steve lifted up a pen, it still didn't feel right. Darla held her breath, wondering what he was going to say next. Steve slowly stood up, twirling the pen around in his hand before saying,

"I'm not saying it's impossible, but there would have to be safeguards."

"Sure." Tony grinned, he knew the second that Steve signed, so would Darla. "Once we put out the PR fire, those documents can be amended. I'd file a motion to have you, Darla and Wanda reinstated-"

"Wanda? What happened to her?" Darla questioned standing up. She felt incredibly protective over the young girl. She had already lost so much, she didn't need to lose anything else.

"She's fine. She's confined to the compound currently." Tony explained, taking a seat. "Vision is keeping her company."

"Oh God, Tony." Scoffed Steve. "Every time I think you see things the right way,-"

"It's 100 acres with a lap pool. It's got a screening room. There's worse ways to protect people." Tony looked over to Darla. It was only a few years ago that she was locked in a small room with no where else to go. Despite it been at her request, he still felt guilty.

"Protection?" Steve rested his hand on the small of Darla's back. She stepped away from him, noticing that Mateo was still watching. "Is that how you see this? This is protection? It's internment, Tony."

"She's not a US citizen." Tony shouted, making Darla angry and fire a quick blast at him. Guards ran up to the girl but Tony held his hand up, telling them to leave her.

"You're unbelievable." She snapped towards the man.

"They don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction." Tony stood up, his jaw clenched angrily.

"She's a kid." Steve shouted.

"Give me a break." Tony snapped back, Darla took a small step back, not expecting him to shout like that. "I'm doing what has to be done. To stave off something worse."

"You keep telling yourself that." Steve said as he placed the pen back on the table. "Hate to break up the set." With that he walked away.

"I'm not signing it, Tony." Darla announced. "I can't."

"Why? Because of Steve?" Tony questioned, watching as the girl sat down.

"Because it's not right." She paused. "I'm sorry for hurting you, but Wanda she's like-"

"Like a sister?" Tony chuckled understanding exactly how the girl was feeling. It was how he felt about her. Darla nodded. "I know."

"And I love you, Tony, really. And I'd do anything for you." She paused. "Just not this." She smile sadly and walked away herself.