𝐈𝐈.𝐈𝐗

EXPLOSION

Steve used all his strength to push the fallen building off of him and Darla. His eyes flickered over to the girl, who was seemingly very drowsy and weak.

He looked out at the fires that has started, the computers were all broken and glass was everywhere. He needed to get Darla out. He needed to get her to safety.

The man scooped the blonde up in his arms and whispered,

"Let's get you out of here, baby." Steve placed her head in the crook of his neck. He felt weak himself, his muscles were aching, but he didn't care. He needed to get her out of there.

Steve looked up to the sky and noticed the jets flying over them, he ran through the rubble and over to Natasha who was anxiously waiting in the car.

The red head seemed to be in a state of shock once she saw Steve running towards them with Darla in his arms. She started up the engine and waited for him to climb into the passenger seat.

"Is she breathing?" Natasha questioned panicked. She couldn't even begin to think about how she would cope if she lost one of her best friends. "STEVE." Natasha shouted once she didn't get a response.

Steve snapped out of his daze and nodded. The girl was unconscious but she was alive. He pulled her closer into her chest and cupped her head with his hand. He couldn't imagine what would have happened if she died. The guilt he would have felt.

He placed a soft kiss on her temple, which didn't go unnoticed by Natasha.

~

Darla stood, half leaning on Steve as he knocked on Sam's door. His large hands gripped her waist as she clutched onto his shirt.

"Hey man." Sam nodded in the direction of Steve. Both Steve and Darla were covered in soot and looked exhausted.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." Steve said as he held Darla up, her knees were buckling under her.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Natasha added as she looked at Darla worriedly.

"Not everyone." Sam said as he stepped aside to allow the three inside. He motioned to Steve, wondering if he wanted help with Darla but the blonde man shook his head. Darla was his responsibility.

"Can I used your shower?" Darla whispered to the man, who nodded in response. She broke away from Steve and slowly walked up the stairs.

Steve hesitantly looked between the two before rushing upstairs after the blonde. She could barely even stand on her own, let alone shower.

All that was running through Steve's head was that she'd faint or that something bad would happen to her and it would be all his fault.

"Darla?" Steve shouted as he heard the running water. He lightly knocked on the door, causing it to creak open.

The bathroom was filled with hot steam, which made it harder to see. Out of the corner of his eyes he saw the blonde girl step into the shower and close the door.

"Darla?" Steve repeated louder.

"What the fu-" Darla shouted panicked. She moved the door slightly to see who had come into the bathroom. Her eyes landed on the blonde boy who was staring back at her. "Cap?"