chapter 14.

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV

"WHAT THE FUCK

were you doing in front of Dr. Melanie's clinic?!"

Rintarou roared early in the morning, much to your anticipation. His voice is still cold as ice but loud as sirens. He ran his fingers through his hair as he looked at his sister's pathetic state. Slowly, you tried to move your body as you feel the soft mattress below your back. Comforting, warm. Just like Keiji's–

"Where am I?"

Sounded so weak, you tried to sit, only to feel such stinging pain on your head. You almost passed out, only if Rintarou didn't offer you warm water. You blinked multiple times, eyes roaming around the place as you realized you're in your brother's apartment. As much as your demise, memories came rushing back to your brain like a rampaging river. What happened last night hit you like a truck, leaving you helpless and crying.

It was over.

You and Keiji. Over.

No, maybe there wasn't the both of you in the first place. He thought that he's in love when he's really just in pain. Some people fall in love with the wrong people sometimes, right? Maybe, you don't really know Akaashi Keiji. You were so addicted, determined, greedy to catch his attention, and too focused on what's in front of you. Other possibilities were forgotten, that's why things got messy.

Things got out of control.

"Were you drunk last night?" You nodded, feeling the edge of the bed compressed as Rintarou sat in front of you. He offered you a hanky and your favorite pillow.

"Who am I to you?" You weakly asked, taking the Hello Kitty cushion from your brother. You waited, scared to hear his answer. Will he also say you're another person? Will he also call you Diane? Will he also–

"You're Y/N."

The wind entered the opened windows, blowing your hair towards your face. It was so cold, no matter how thick your blanket is, it's still cold. It's not raining outside, but there's a storm inside your heart. No weather forecaster can predict when it'll stop.

"You're my sister–"

"Even if I look like this?" You choked on your own saliva. "Even if I don't have my previous face anymore?! Can you still call me your sister even if–"

"Actually," Rintarou started, half-chuckling. "When I passed by the clinic last night, I ignored you sleeping at the doorstep. I thought it was just a beggar and forgot it's you because of your face. But I came back. I would be ashamed to wake up next morning after leaving my pathetic-looking sister wasted in front of someone's property."

He laughed softly.

"While I was carrying you towards the car, I stared at your face and I thought, "You completely looked like a stranger. You don't look like my sister who fell on the canal. You don't look like my sister who's obsessed with academics. You don't look like an ugly duckling anymore." But you snored. So loud!"

You chuckled a bit, sniffing.

"Then I realized, I'm wrong. it's still you. It's still Y/N I am carrying. It's still my sister in my arms. Only you will snore like that. Only you will sleep on someplace like that. Only you who doesn't drink alcohol will get wasted like that. It's only your face who changed, not you. In your blood, in your veins, even in your birth certificate, you're still Y/N."

Rintarou inched closer to you, enveloping you in a very, very warm embrace. He patted your head.

"I don't know what happened last night, why you're crying right now, but I don't want to ask it. I want you to be the first one to talk about it when everything is okay and when it's alright with you. I don't want to force you into anything anymore. You look so tired already. You've been through hell. That's why..."

He let go, holding both of your shoulders as he looked at you directly in the eyes.

"...I'm sorry."

"F-For?"

"For failing to protect you. I am your brother, your second love, your knight-in-shining-armor when we were still young, but I failed to be on your side when everything starts to fall apart. I'm sorry..."

A tear escaped his eye but he's too quick to wipe it away. Before you can even reply, he stood up, chuckling like a crazy man. For once, you had a nice and serious conversation with your brother. His words are so sincere, you want to tell him it's not your fault. It's yours. For being too careless, for being too selfish, for being too greedy, it was all your fault.

But it hurts. Keiji, it hurts. So fucking much.

Even so, you can't hate him.

Never.

"I cooked pancakes for you," said Rintarou, slowly walking towards the door. "I'll just–oh, shoot!"

You watched as he walked back towards the bed, waved his phone in front of your face with a message flashed on the screen. You read, read, and read. Nothing changed. You can't believe it. Are you still drunk? Or you just became dumber? You can't seem to process the news.

"W-What..."

"We're flying to the Philippines next week."

Your jaw dropped. What, what the hell?!

"SO, PACK YOUR THINGS."