S e v e n t e e n

_____

'' We need to leave now.''

_____

Draco Malfoy.

Amelie rested frozen before him. Her lower lip trembling. She didn't want to leave — she showed it more than well — and Draco could see that the resistance wasn't held for Adrian. It was for Theodore. She loved her best friend more than anyone else, and for Malfoy to be the one taking her away from him ached inside as a waver of doubt scored the blonde.

''Avery—'' Draco sought to reach out for her, but nothing. She held still as her eyes bored through his and a shaky breath fled her lips.

She shook her head, staring emptily at him, '' I can't go, Draco. I can't leave everything behind just because my father chose to escape. It doesn't work like that.''

Malfoy swallowed in an attempt to imagine how this could play out — every scenario possible flashed through his mind as he grumbled, '' I know it doesn't, but it has to, staying here isn't working for anyone right now.''

His eyes stared blankly, '' Especially not for you.''

Amelie sucked in a harsh breath, locking her eyes sealed as she placed her palms over his chest, and her tiny fingers gripped the fabric, '' I don't know what you want me to do, Draco...''

'' I want us to leave, we need to—''

'' I can't!'' She suddenly shouted. Her voice tore through the timber around them, echoing loudly, but she didn't move. Her eyes fell to look at his jacket. The tears prickling in them glinted in pain.

'' I can't, Draco. I can't leave. ''

Malfoy's head rose, looking over the darkness — the crackling noise of the unknown sounded as the leaves shrugged by the light wind.

'' Why?'' He looked down on her again, and he was scared to touch her. '' Why can't you leave?''

She huffed as her forehead dipped into his chest — she trusted him. Amelie trusted Draco in ways she had never trusted anyone before, and even if she didn't speak it out loud — he knew because, after years of abuse and torture — no one comes to terms with a touch that easily.

You stay clear of it, and that's what she used to do. She stayed away from every touch possible because all she ever felt in another person was hatred, spite, hurt — but not with Draco.

He was gentle with her — kind. He showed her that he was to be trusted, and after months of trying — she finally did. Amelie trusted him,

Just like he needed her to do.

Draco needed her to join him willingly. That was the only way the Dark Lord would accept her. Her father did leave. He fled, and Adrian returned for her, but not to hand her over to the Death Eaters — no.

That was Draco's task. That was his deal with the devil to get his father released from under Voldemort's power. His life for hers, and even if Malfoy had grown to care for Amelie, even if he had granted her with many promises — he had to do this, or the Dark Lord would kill his father.

At first, the Dark Lord used Draco himself as leverage — he sought for Malfoy to the cruelest of things to other human beings, and he did. Draco used his magic to take the lives of others, to torture them beyond imagination.

He was a monster, and she — she was his prey.

'' We need to leave, now.''

Amelie still hesitated as her head felt heavy against his chest. Draco didn't know what to do — how to make her join him. He gripped her shoulders, holding her back to face the angelic features she held, '' You are safe with me, Amelie.''