N i n e

This chapter contains emotional trauma. Please read with caution.

_____

'' I feel your heartbeat.''

_____

Adrian never returned back to school that week

Adrian never returned back to school that week. His parents believed that it would be for the better if he rested in recovery in the walls of his own home, but that didn't interrupt the truth of Amelie missing him — more than she possessed the words to explain.

She knew it was for the greater good that he wasn't here. It would spare them all a piece of their minds. She understood that him being among them in a time like this — where both she and Theodore had failed him terribly, wouldn't end well.

Still, she would have to get used to the fact that Adrian wouldn't be around much anymore because later this week — his fate was to be destined with the darkness, and he would finally, as he had longed for, be a part of the Death Eaters.

Amelie didn't fear Adrian as a Death Eater more than she did with him, not being one of them. It frankly brought her peace that he wouldn't be around, that he only would come back to visit her for a few days at a time — because it meant that she would have the freedom to spend time with Theodore without anyone constantly looking over her shoulder.

Her eyes fell upon the brunette, watching as he rested in her lap, and she smiled by the autumn breeze dancing through her hair. The gentle strokes of sun tickled her nose as Theodore mumbled to himself.

He always did that — muttering the words he was reading without realizing that he did it.

'' What are we reading today?'' Amelie asked him, feeling how his body slightly flinched by her unexpected speaking.

Theo merely shrugged, turning a page of his book, '' Same as usual, but you already knew that, didn't you?''

She held on to her smile as her eyes rolled, '' Only because you've been reading the same book for a decade now.''

The tips of her fingers dragged gently through his hair, untangling the messy strands, and the touch of her — brushing through the brown pieces, made him gaze up at her. His eyes glimmered by the bright light around them,

'' Can I read you something?'' He looked eager.

'' Of course.'' Her fingers kept on brushing over his head as she peered out over the lake in front of them. Both Amelie and Theodore loved sitting out here, close to the water, as they read in quietness.

It was one of the many things they always did together, and especially out here, because here — Adrian couldn't find them. He didn't know about their secret little place.