S i x t e e n

_____

'' Sweetheart.''

_____

Amelie Avery.

She stood, similar to a question mark in front of the two boys. '' Who lied to me?'' She asked both of them. She was confused as to why they would jump apart the second she had stepped closer.

'' Well? Who lied to me?'' She asked again, and her eyes dragged across them — but nothing, neither of the boys, uttered a single word. They merely stood startled in front of her while their face's brightened by the guiltiest of looks.

Amelie felt a hand on her lower back as it pulled her close into a tight chest, and she swallowed, trying not to flinch at the touch Adrian brought.

'' Are you ready?'' Adrian urged, eyeing both Theodore and Draco down. '' Or do you want to keep standing here with those—'' He held as a disgusted glare shot between them.

'' Don't be rude, Adrian,'' Amelie mumbled while peering up at him. She smiled shyly to ease his faltering temper, '' I said I'd go with you—''

Theodore took a step closer as his eyes glued intensely into Adrian, '' Where are you taking her?'' He asked. His tone low yet threatening — his head snapped to the blonde one as he placed a hand on Theodore's shoulder,

'' Easy there, Nott,'' Draco seethed, almost urgently as he sent the brown-haired boy a severe look — he didn't want him to start something similar to the last time the Slytherin boys argued, '' I'd like to have a word with Amelie, if I may?''

Adrian tensed, his body shifted in stone next to hers, and his warm breaths nearly iced, '' Why?'' He questioned the blonde one's intentions, '' Why do you need a word—''

'' Adrian,'' Amelie hewed him off, turning around in his hold to fully face him, '' Go ahead, and I'll meet you in your room.''

Her sight grounded, '' I think I deserve to say goodbye.''

Adrian didn't answer her. His dimmed eyes were plastered in Amelie's as his fingers dug into her waist before he slowly let her go with a slight nod, '' Five minutes."

With that, the boy she held so dearly snatched Theodore by his arm, dragging him down the hall from them. Her heart ached as she met Theodore's stare, frightened as to why Adrian pulled him away, before her eyes flickered to Draco's, watching as he stood tall in front of her.

His grey hues caught her off guard — in the same way, she always fell lost in them, '' What did you—''

'' Where is he taking you?''

The boy's demeanor in front of Amelie changed utterly — the warm embrace he always brought washed in gravity, '' I asked you a question, Avery.''

She looked at him, how the crease in his forehead formed with his brows drawn together and how his eyelashes battled the anger that flashed through his eyes.

'' To his mothers. He said—''

'' You can't go there.''

Amelie stepped back, and her arms crossed over her chest as she shook her head — stray strands of hair spilled over her shoulders by the move. She was trying to read him, to understand the puzzle of mystery in front of her — to grasp a little of the reality he granted, but Draco was an unraveled boy.

A boy with many secrets, a boy with a deep, dark hidden place, where no one but him was allowed to enter — and she tried. Amelie sought to open him up, to get Malfoy to talk to her, but when she did — he distanced himself even more.