Chapter 52:Heartache

Katherine Wright

We were leaving today. In 2 hours. Sicily has a bag load of possibly the worst memories of my life. But I couldn't help bit think about how I grew here. In just a mere span of a fortnight how a lot of things changed here.

I came to know about my family's buisness. I dealt with the horrors of my hell. I learnt about how consequences can make you do things you don't want to but still you have no choice but to do it. And....

Gabriel

I met Gabriel. The man who saved me. Who took care of me. He had grown so close to my heart. But I didn't know how he felt about me. I was going today and I didn't know when will I see him again. I needed to talk to him.

I was going towards his office when I saw his silhouette through the huge glass window. He was standing in the terrace garden looking over the city. I took slow steps towards him. He had his suit jacket hanging on his arms while his sleeves were rolled up to his elbow.

"Gabriel " I said. And he turned to face me. He looked like he hadn't slept the whole night.

"Are you okay? You look tired." I asked.

"No Preziosa. I'm fine."

"I just came to say-"

"Goodbye?"

"Y-yeah. I wanted to see you before leaving." There was momentary silence between us.

"I have something for you." He said looking into my eyes. His grey eyes were so alluring. So deep yet disturbed. I could never get them out of my head.

He fished something out of his suit pocket. It was a tiny box. He opened it. It was a delicate golden rose necklace.

He took it in both of his hands and pushed my hair behind clasping it around my neck

He took it in both of his hands and pushed my hair behind clasping it around my neck. And then he took my face in his hands. His touch asked me to melt into him. It was taking everything in me to continue with my plan to go back home. I just wanted to be here in his touch. In his reach.

"When I'm not around you to protect you, this will keep you safe. Everyone will know that you are under my protection. Always keep it on you. In plain sight. I dont want any harm to come your way." I was moved. He cared about me so much. I felt a tear trickle down my cheek. And he wiped it with his thumb.

"Dont cry Amore I can't see you cry."

"Will you see each other again?"

"Soon." He said and leaned down. I felt his lips on my forehead.

They lingered there for a while before he pulled away.

"And this." He said handing me something. It was the jewelry I was wearing on the day of my accident. My diamond cross, mom's ring and my earrings. I took the cross in my other hand.

"Gabriel. Have this." I said and handed him the cross. He gave me a questioning look.

"This is something I never take off. It helped me through some of my very dark times. I believe God protected me through it. So keep this. This way you'll have something to remember me and God will protect you. It's a bit girlish but you can keep it in your pocket." I said and curled his fingers inwards to hold it.

"mi diverti Preziosa."
(You amuse me.)

I didn't understood what he said but it felt nice.

"Um...I have to go."

"Yeah." He said. His eyes held a flicker of sadness.

He walked me to my family. Soon I was walking through the very familiar door now once again not knowing when will I ever see it again.

Alex had his hand around my shoulder. I turned around for the last time to see Gabriel. Hopefully not the last time.

Massimo Gabriel Donnatiello

Watching her walk away from me was the most heartbreaking moment. Heart. A year ago I didn't even knew I had one.

She was full of light and life. I was endless dark. She was the sun of my life. But I was a dark cloud looming around her.

"I know what you're thinking."

"Tell me father. What should I do? Should I let her escape my darkness or should I let it consume her? Am I too selfish when I think I would never let her go even when I know I'll darken her world."

"I asked myself the same question 24 years ago son when I saw your mother for the first time. I was just like you. But then someone told me that darkness can never consume light. In fact the light is the one who ends the dark ess of one's life. If she is truly your light then you can never darken her world even if you want to. If both of you are meant to be then nothing will be able to stop you."

"But what about her family? They know how I am. They won't allow this. And if I did anything against them then I'll lost her forever."

"You have to prove your worth to her. And then her family. Thay will allow it. Because they know that if there is someone in this world who'll be able to protect her better then themselves, it's you. And as much as I know Alexander, he will do anything to protect her sister. But as of today you did the right thing."

"I did the right thing." I said and sighed.

Just a few years Preziosa then you will be mine. Only mine.

Katherine Wright

"What's that?" Silas asked pointing at my necklace.

"Oh. That's Gabriel's gift for me." I said playing with it.

My statement seemed to grab everyone's attention.

"Why would he give that to you angel?" My father asked.

"He said it's to protect me when he's not with me." I said.

Dad, Alex and Hayden shared a long look with each other and went to the small room at the back of the plane. I wonder what it was about.

My mind was once again occupied with his thoughts. The moments we shared together I couldn't never forget them.

Sleep engulfed me only for me to dream about that grey eyed man. My protector. Gabriel.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
Hello readers. Hope you all are doing amazing.
Again please suggest me someone for Gabriel. I want you all to respond. Pretty please. I have designed the cover for the sequel and the name. But it will be a surprise.
Lots of love
Writer