Camila greeted her with what she hoped was a warm inviting smile. It was received with a very soft-spoken hello and nervous smile. Camila immediately felt guilty. Guilty for thinking only of her emotions and her role in the situation. She could see that Melissa was far more nervous than was and was much further out of her comfort zone. Melissa looked uncomfortable the entryway of the house but Camila knew it had little to do with the home (where she knew Melissa had been to at least a handful of times) and more to do with the fact that she had to meet a new person, even if this new person was her son's mate.

"Hi, Mom." Camila stepped aside to allow Taine to place a gentle kiss on his mothers check.

Her skin, paper-thin, was painted by blue veins and a light smattering of freckles. The only and most prominent trace of colour on her face was her blue eyes. They sat wide yet empty in large hollows framed by dark thick eyebrows.

While Melissa looked more phantom than human, Camila would easily tell that she once had been incredibly beautiful.

Even though Taine and Camila had insisted, Alfredo refused to stay for dinner. It was only after Melissa and Taine had begun making their way to the couch and Camila had shot him the most pleading and desperate look she could muster, did he accept the invitation.

"Nathan dear, why don't you get your mother a drink." Melissa twisted the bracelet around her wrist nervously.

Taine hesitated a moment but still moved to the kitchen. Camila was left alone with her and began to make small talk to pass the time. "How long was the drive?"

"Not long. Around thirty minutes."

"Hopefully traffic wasn't too bad."

"It wasn't fortunately."

Melissa just curtly responded, doing nothing to further the conversation. She was soft-spoken and timid, which made Camila question herself. Was she asking the right questions? Was she being too forceful? Loud?

Camila smiled and searched her brain for what to say next. Thankfully Taine entered the room with a drink in each hand. Camila eyed him as he took a seat and gulped the golden liquid. Taine's dependence (or love as he put it) on whisky was something she disapproved of, yet now she itched for some liquid courage herself.

"How have you been, mom?"

Camila thought she would open up more now that her son was here. And while she seemed visibly more relaxed, she still responded with a singular, "fine."

"I'm so glad you could make it tonight." Camila directed the question both Alfredo and Melissa, with a smile.

Melissa quickly smiled and took another sip of her drink. Silence settled over the room. Silence which Camila was stifled by.

"I like what you've done with the décor in the room." Melissa glanced around. It was the first time she had spoken without having a question directed at her.

She was thankful for the reprieve. "Thank you! The place looked like such a bachelor pad, I wanted to add a few more colours and a bit more joy into the house."

Melissa nodded "I have been telling Nathan for years that he needed to rid himself of the blacks and greys."

She saw a twinkle in Melissa's eyes and knew that they were reflected in her own. She felt the first sense of warmth and connection since she had opened the front door.

Hearing the oven timer go off, Camila jumped up. "Dinner is ready." She ushered everyone to the dining room table.

Even though she had prepared herself for it, dinner felt like a sombre affair. Even though she didn't know what Melissa was usually like, she could now attribute Taine being a man of few words to his mother.