Chapter 2

Unsurprisingly she was the first one in the car. She was wearing her favourite jeans and shirt with a full face of makeup. Her dark eyes shone with excitement and her skin glowed. It was the first day in a long time that she felt herself enough to dress up a little. Taine was last to enter the car. He spent time on the phone with his Beta trying to make sure the pack would be okay. She didn't understand why. It was only a few hours and she wasn't going to try and overstay. She knew it was a busy time for him.

 In the time it took for him to get his shit together, she and Taine's Italian driver Alfredo had become fast friends. He was teaching her Italian profanities when she saw Taine walk towards the car. Camila wondered if he would sit in the back with her, or in the front. He made a beeline for the passenger seat and Camila looked out the window pretending it didn't bother her. She wouldn't let it. She was too happy to let her broody mate rain on her parade. Alfredo, to her annoyance, decided to get involved and make something up about the airbags in the front seat not working, he was not even trying to be subtle.

The silence in the car was only broken when Camila had a question. 

"Al, how long left?"

"Sorry Miss Kadner, I really don't know." Camila met Taine's gaze.

Breaking eye contact he checked his watch "Another three hours or so."

Camilia's jaw dropped and her face said it all. She didn't expect the trip to be this long. She was going to have to speed pack her things and not spend too much time socialising. 

"The hours left? Seriously. Time flew last time!"

"Last time you were asleep." He answered curtly.

No, she was unconscious. But she wasn't going to blurt that out in front of Alfredo.  

Silence.

Camila wanted to break it and on a normal day she would, but today she had too many emotions. Too many bubbling feelings to trust that she wouldn't burst from excitement or say something stupid to put Taine in a bad mood. She needed the trip to go smoothly.

-------

"15 minutes Miss Kadner."

 Alfredo's warm accented voice woke her up from her reverie. Camila was a planner. She had compartmentalized all her things and knew exactly how she was going to approach it, to maximise time. At the 10 minute mark, Camila began to bounce in her seat uncontrollably. Intently watching the familiar streets and houses whiz by. She didn't even realise it until Taine killed her excitement like he always did.

"Camila you are shaking the car, please stop that."

 She glared at him.

As soon as the car reached a halt, in fact even before that, Taine watched the seatbelt fly off Camila's seat. He watched her practically tumble then sprint out the door without so much as a glance in his direction. He tried not to let that sting. She should have contained herself and walked in with him. She may have been part of this pack and was 'free-spirited,' but now she was the mate of an Alpha and it seemed all her inhibitions had gone out the window.

 Another reason that pricked at him, was that he didn't know if he could ever make her happy like this. He didn't know how. He didn't know if she could or would ever miss him that much. He watched as she bolted to the door and even though he was still in the car he could hear her scream in delight as someone she knew opened the door and screamed with equal vigour. Alpha Hart came out and squeezed Camila until Luna Hart told him she was going to snap.