Chapter 3

Kakyoin looked through the small window into the cell, "Is that him?"

Joseph nodded, "Yes. That's Jotaro."

Kakyoin watched the shaking mess of a man curled in the corner sobbing and mumbling and felt a stab of pain in his chest. This was the man who saved the world. This was the man who faced a time stopping vampire and defeated him.

This man was defeated by the death of his best friend, Noriaki Kakyoin.

Kakyoin didn't know how to feel about that. How could someone so strong care for another person so much that it sapped away all their strength to lose them?

That someone cared for him that much. The thought took his breath away.

"Can I go in?"

Joseph stared at him a long moment before answering, "Are you sure? Even sedated, he's dangerous."

"He needs me, Mr. Joestar." Kakyoin said softly, "He's like this because of me..."

"No. This is not your fault. Don't believe that for a minute. Jotaro has been through a lot for someone so young. Trust me, I know. I went through my own tough situation at about his age. I even lost my best friend. Jotaro's never been good at seeking help. We tried to get him into therapy but...he refused."

"I want to help him. He's my best friend, right?"

With a sigh, Joseph nodded at the orderly escorting them, "Let him in."

*****

Jotaro flinched as the door opened, "Go away..." he croaked out.

Joseph stepped just inside the door, "Jotaro, there's, umm, someone here to see you."

"...go awaaaayyyyy!" He yelled, pushing further back into the corner.

"J...Jotaro...?"

Every muscle in Jotaro's body tensed at the sound of that voice, his head turned towards Kakyoin so fast, Joseph was sure he pulled a muscle. He shook his head, eyes wide in terror, "No...no no no...I'm sorry...please...please Nori..."

Kakyoin watched the curled mess of a man before him and felt his heart break. He took a few hesitant steps into the room and knelt down, "It's ok, Jotaro. I'm here. I'm ok. Everything is going to be ok."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

"You have nothing to apologize for, Jotaro. You did nothing wrong."

"I didn't mean to let you die...I failed you..."

"I'm here, Jotaro. I didn't die. Look at me, I'm here. I survived. You didn't fail anyone."

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, Nori. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...."

Before Kakyoin could say anything else, Joseph cleared his throat, shaking his head when the boy looked at him.

He sighed and stood, looking back to the now sobbing Jotaro, "I'll come see you again soon, Jotaro. I promise."

The door closed behind them and Kakyoin walked down the hall a bit until he found a chair and slowly collapsed into it.

"You ok, Kakyoin?"

Noriaki shook his head, "I didn't know he would be that bad. He...it was like he didn't believe I was real. I...I...what can we do?"

"Do you intend to keep visiting him?"

"If allowed, yes."

"We were hoping you would say that. Come on. Let's get you back to your room."

"Mr. Joestar...do you really think we can help him?"

"I don't know. But what I do know, is I'm not giving up on him."

*****

It was decided that Kakyoin could make brief, daily visits to Jotaro's room. His doctors were hopeful that in addition to the new medications, the daily visits would help ground him and allow him regain his grip on reality.

Some days, Jotaro said nothing. Just pressed his face into the corner and ignored what he assumed was a figment of his broken imagination.

Some days, he was over come with rage, screaming, kicking and fighting out of sheer terror at seeing his dead friend.

Then there were days where he sobbed and begged for forgiveness the whole time Kakyoin was in the room.

That's how it went for 2 months, until on one of Jotaro's silent days, Kakyoin sat against the wall opposite of him, humming a random tune just to keep sound in the air and was eventually interrupted by a scratchy, strained voice.

"You're not real..."

Kakyoin stopped his tune and looked at Jotaro in shock. It was the first time he'd spoken calmly since he'd began visiting.

"I'm sorry? Could you repeat that?"

"You're not real."

Kakyoin fought the urge to do a little happy dance at finally being able to talk to his friend.

"I am real. I promise you, Jotaro."

"Don't believe you..."

"It's ok. I understand. I'll just have to keep coming back until you do."

"Tch!"

He watched as Jotaro maneuvered himself so that he could hide his face in the corner, a clear sign he was done talking.

Kakyoin practically ran to his room after the visit ended and called Joseph to tell him about their progress.

*****

"Good morning, Jotaro." Kakyoin said brightly a few days later as he entered the room. The doctors had warned him not to be too excited over their previous conversation, saying that Jotaro could easily relapse.

Today, though, seemed to be another silent day as Jotaro opted to simply glare at the redhead while he made himself comfortable in his usual spot.

"I talked to Mr. Joestar yesterday. He's coming back to visit in a few days. He's eager to see how you are doing." Kakyoin said, pausing in hopes of Jotaro saying something but the other just glared.

"Hmm, so I finished my painting. Maybe one day we can get you out of here and I'll show it to you. Oh! Also, Mr. Joestar said he'd take me out for dinner. I'm rather excited about that. I haven't stepped foot out of this facility since I woke up. My doctors are finally giving me a bit of freedom now that I've regained some strength. I wish you could accompany us. Mr. Joestar even bought me a suit for the occasion. He says we're going somewhere very nice. Maybe we can both go with him next time. I wonder if they will let me bring you something back. Mr. Joestar would know what you like, surely. I'll ask your doctor if..."

"Mochi."

"M...mochi? Y...you want mochi?" Kakyoin asked in a shaking voice. Jotaro gave an almost imperceptible nod. "Ok. I can bring you mochi. A whole box. Any particular flavor?"

Jotaro narrowed his eyes, "Green tea."

Kakyoin smiled, "Absolutely! I'll see how soon we can get you some mochi. Anything else?"

Jotaro attempted to lift his arms.

Smile faltering, Kakyoin shook his head, "I don't think they'd let you lose just yet. Maybe if you keep talking to me..."

"Tch!"

Kakyoin sighed as Jotaro retreated into his corner, knowing their tiny conversation was ended.

********************************************

I hope you're all enjoying this! Let me know what you think in the comments!

Follow me on Instagram ( @_jaxous_ ) for sneak peaks and other randomness