Chapter 79: The last step

Start from the beginning

"Good morning to the five of you", Lucifer greeted his sons with his usual, unreadable smile.

"Good morning, father", Samuel said and walked down the stairs alongside his four older brothers. Samuel was the only child, who reacted to Lucifer in a rather polite manner. Some time ago, Seungmin had voiced the theory that the siren was only polite towards his father, because he hadn't lived in the mansion for too long. In that moment, Byungho wasn't entirely sure about that theory being true because he had almost greeted Lucifer himself.

When the five brothers reached the bottom of the staircase Byungho noticed how Lilith's gaze rested on Seungmin. She uncrossed her arms, revealing a silver necklace in her right hand.

"In case your moral compass decides to go crazy in the wrong moment", Lilith said nonchalantly and held the necklace towards Seungmin. The necklace was a bright silver and had a shining red stone as charm. It was a pretty necklace and matched Seungmin's hair, but Byungho had no clue what exactly the necklace was supposed to do, or why exactly Lilith wanted Seungmin to have it. Usually she didn't care about neither of her two sons, so why the sudden change of heart?

Seungmin mustered his mother and the necklace quietly before took the piece of jewelry. The moment the necklace touched Seungmin's hand Byungho could feel the dark magic radiating from the red stone, but it quickly settled down.

"The stone is charged with magic, which should serve you as a last resort in case your moral compass drains you of your own magic", Lilith said in the same neutral and emotionless tone as before. She crossed her arms over her chest again with her red eyes still focused on Seungmin.

The young demon looked at the necklace for a moment before he put it around his neck. Byungho really wanted to know what went through Seungmin's head when the stone had radiated dark magic, or why he seemed to plan actually using the necklace. Somehow he had the feeling Lilith was planing something, but he couldn't say what.

"We should get going. Otherwise you will be late", Lucifer spoke up, gaining the attention of his sons and Lilith. The devil seemed absolutely unbothered by the current situation and kept up the light smile on his lips. It made a certain anger start boiling in the pit of Byungho's stomach. If Lilith really did plan something, Lucifer knew of it.

On the other hand, Seungmin wasn't stupid. If the redhead had the feeling his mother was planing something, he wouldn't have taken the necklace. Maybe it really was to help Seungmin in case of an emergency and Byungho was just being paranoid?

"Well, I wish you luck, even though you won't need it", Lilith mused before walking away, not sparing her two sons one glance. A weird feeling of relief flooded Byungho's system. This action seemed a lot more like Lilith.

"You have to keep your promise", Samuel mumbled beside him. The siren wasn't only looking at Byungho, but all of his older brothers. The eyes of the youngest Kim brother were still a bit red from his earlier crying, but the initial fear in his eyes was replaced with a certain shimmering hope.

"We will. Don't worry", Wonpil said, ruffling the siren's black hair. Normally Samuel would protest and swat Wonpil's hand away, but this time he didn't. He just smiled a little bit. The siren quickly hugged each of his brothers individually before letting him go over to Lucifer. The devil waited patiently for his four sons to be ready.

"Ready?", Lucifer asked when Wonpil, Byungho, Woosu and Seungmin stood before him while Samuel remained on the staircase. Byungho glanced at the young siren before nodding towards his father. A smile stretched itself onto Lucifer's lips and in the next moment the five Kims stood in the lobby of the NCT headquarter.

"Let's go. I think the others are waiting for us", Woosu said and took off towards the magical entrance of the headquarter.

"Wait", Lucifer suddenly said. The tone ins his voice alone let Byungho freeze on the spot. Usually Lucifer sounded carefree, unbothered and often amused. Only rarely did his voice have a more serious undertone.