It was all a lie

Começar do início

"What's your proof?" I cross my arms and I watch her reach into her purse. I frowned as she pulled out two pieces of paper and walks over handing it to me. I take them and look over the paper seeing it was a document, and a photo.

The document was of my birth certificate. I've never physically seen it before, and the fact that she had it didn't sit well with me. This could've been a fake document, with photoshop and good writing skills. But I knew it was real, because it had the time I was born, along with my dads real name and signature. I knew my dads signature because he taught me how to copy his when I was kid. Since he wasn't around all the time, he told me if I needed something for school, or for anything that required his signature to use it.

My dad also told me he changed his name after my mom left me. He legally changed it to Tony Watkins, so that we'd have the same last name. When my parents got married, they didn't have the money to legally have my dad change his last name to Watkins. So they just kept their names as is and waited till they got the money. But never did.

My dads real name was Tony Gainer and as I saw that name, I really couldn't believe it. No one knew about my dads real name. He didn't have family or friends except Eugene, but even Eugene didn't know about it. Only I did. When my dad had past, I learned he had many different identities.  Tony Gainer wasn't a name he used in over 20 years.

I then looked at the photo and my eyes widen at what I saw. It was me as a toddler, on my first birthday and I had cake all over my face. I was smiling wide for the camera with Elmo in my arms, while both my parents were on either side of me. My dad had cake in his hands and in his afro, while my mother had cake on her face and in her huge curly hair, both of them smiling. The cake was destroyed but the huge number one candle was tilted, and still lit.

"It was Elmo themed." Jasmine mumbles and I look up at her, seeing her tearing up. "You loved Elmo so much. He was your favorite toy growing up, until you got into barbies when you turned 3." She chuckles and I look back at the photo. "Your father and I were so happy. We were so excited to celebrate your birthday, and the future birthdays. We had so much fun with you."

I hand her back the photo but she doesn't take it.

"Keep it. I know Tony didn't keep old photos anyway, he wasn't very photogenic or liked to keep memento's." She sighs. "How is he anyway? I hope he's still taking care of himself."

"He's dead." I watch her eyes widen before sadness washes over her.  "He was killed in an armed robbery last spring."

"I-I'm sorry I didn't know-"

"Why are you here?" I finally ask and she sighs.

"I've been trying to look for you for so long.  I want to reconnect with you and maybe have you in my life if you let me.  If you'd let me explain everything then-"

"No." I sternly say and she frowns.

"Why?  Won't you let me explain-"

"No.  I didn't need you then and I definitely don't need you now." She flinched at my tone and I open my car door.

"Simone please!" She begs and I look back at her.  "Please...just please let me explain. Give me the chance to talk to you. I've waited so long to find you, to see how you've grown up without me. Your father left with no trace and I tried calling him but he changed his number. So I hired a private investigator, and now that I've finally found you I want to speak with you." She sobs and covers her mouth.

"I know you want to know why she left and to know if she even cared about you. You act as if you don't, but deep down you do Simone."

Alexander's words run through my mind and I pinch the bridge of my nose. I hated that I actually did want to know why she left, and I hate that he was right about how I felt. For so long I acted like I didn't care about my mom, that I didn't care to find out why she left me and my dad. But I really did care and I wanted to know why.