𝐈𝐕.𝐕𝐈𝐈

Start from the beginning

"There is no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game." Tony crossed his arms. "If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less we're not better than the bad guys."

"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up." Steve looked towards the man.

"Who said were giving up?" Tony questioned.

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame." Steve continued to explain.

"I'm sorry, Steve. That is dangerously arrogant." Rhode cut in. "This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD. It's not HYDRA."

Darla felt Mateo tense at the word, HYDRA. She ran her thumb along his knuckles soothingly.

"No, but it's run by people with agendas and agendas change." Steve shook his head, completely disagreeing.

"I agree with, Cap. How can we trust these people when they change their minds every day." Darla smiled over to him.

"That's good. That's why I'm here." Tony jumped in, pointing towards the pair. "When I realised what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands I shut it down and stopped manufacturing."

"Tony, you chose to do that." Steve looked up to the man. "If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose."

"I agree with Tony." Mateo spoke up. Darla furrowed her brows, not quite understanding why, but she didn't say anything. Steve clenched his jaw at the boys voice but chose to ignore him.

"What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there's somewhere we need to go and they don't let us?" Steve questioned looking at the group. His eyes flickered to Darla, who looked torn. "We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own."

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty." Tony looked between Steve and Darla.

"You're saying they'll come for me?" Wanda spoke up for the first time.

"We would protect you." Vision reassured the girl.

"Maybe Tony's right." Natasha said, shocking everyone. "If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off-"

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam questioned in a state of shock.

"I'm just reading the terrain." Natasha shrugged. "We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back."

"Focus up." Tony ordered, making Natasha look at him. "I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?"

"I want to take it back now." Natasha muttered.

"No. No. No. You can't retract it." Tony smugly smirked. "Thank you. Unprecedented."

Darla's eyes flickered to Steve who had just picked his phone up. His face fell as he slowly stood up.

"I have to go." He announced, taking one last look at Darla before walking out.

'Peggy's died.'

Her lips parted and she tried to pull away from Mateo but his grip tightened slightly. He shook his head, silently telling her to give him some space.

"Where do you stand, kid?" Tony questioned curiously as he looked towards the girl.

Darla pursed her lips for a second. She didn't agree with signing the accords, but she also didn't agree with not signing them. Steve and Wanda were on one side but Mateo, Natasha and Tony were on the other.

"I'm Switzerland." She shrugged, pulling herself away from Mateo. "We can't keep going around in this vicious cycle." She poured herself a glass of water. "But if we sign those accords, they're going to come for Wanda, heck they'll probably even come for me too." She paused and looked up at Tony. "Who wants an enhanced individual who can control electricity and read minds on the loose?" She questioned.

"We wouldn't let anything bad happen to you." Tony reassured the girl. "Either of you."

"But would you be able to control that?" She questioned walking away.