Chapter 6: I Discover the Lovely Blue Tiling in the Bathroom

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Yes, that's okay," he says and nods, his eyes filled with an unsettling solemnity. Why did he look more handsome with that look in his eye?

"I'll see you then," I say and bite down on my lip, making to brush past him.

"Uh- wait," he says and sets a hand on my arm. My attention zeroes in on his hand. The rest of the world blurs into nothingness, and the only thing I'm sure of is that one point of contact. I stare at his hand as he speaks. "I want to ask you to accompany me to the Yule Ball."

"Yeah, definitely," I say with a nod. He pulls his hand away. The world feels colder. Then, he smiles at me, and everything might be okay again.

"I will be glad to see you later."

***

Once I finish my dinner, I excuse myself and tentatively make my way over to the table where the Durmstrang students are seated, my egg in hand. I feel like there are a thousand pairs of eyes on me even though I can't find them. As I near the bench where Viktor is seated, I can hear him chatting in Bulgarian, his words flowing from his tongue with the liquidity he lacks in English. I want to stop and listen, but his friends have spotted me, and grins grow on their faces. I can pick out his name in the next sentence one of his friends speaks, and then Viktor whips around. My eyes widen.

"Hello," he says, and his eyes are as wide as mine.

"Sorry, are you still eating?"

"Talking more than eating," he admits.

"Oh, no worries. Finish up and then you can come and find me at the Hufflepuff table. The yellow one with the blond dweeb grinning like an idiot," I say and point at the table that Cedric is situated at.

"Or you can stay here," he suggests and slides down the bench.

"Oh, uh..."

"It is your choice."

I bite down on my lip and slide onto the bench beside him. He smiles at me and returns to his plate.

"Viktor cannot keep his mouth closed long enough to eat," the boy across from Viktor says, his accent heavier than Viktor's.

Viktor glares at the boy over his fork.

"I eat fast," I say and shrug my shoulders, jolting when Viktor's thigh brushes against my own. Pathetic. "I'm Y/N."

"We know," the boy says and grins, and Viktor sends another deadly glare across the table. "Viktor has quite the... big lot of compliments to give. I hear you fly."

"I do," I say and try to assess the boy. "Do you?"

The boy nods his head. "Not like Viktor, but I do play."

"Which is why you have to tantalize him on the ground. Because he would beat you in the air?"

Viktor smiles, and the boy across the table does the same, amusement spreading across his features. "I like you," the boy says and holds out his hand. "I'm Teodor."

"Nice to meet you, Teodor," I say and extend my hand.

"The pleasure is mine," he responds and kisses the back of my hand, eyes flitting to Viktor.

Viktor's face is impassive as he finishes his dinner and downs the rest of his drink.

"Ready, Y/N?" he asks. I nod and pull my hand from Teodor's with a shy smile, standing. I lead Viktor from the Great Hall, chewing on awkward silence.

"So," I finally say as we reach the first staircase, "Teodor is one of your friends?"

Viktor's eyes crinkle as one corner of his mouth raises in a grin. "You could say that."