5|| Rain, Rain, Go Away

Start from the beginning

Silver flew over and settled down on the top on the notebook, regaining Elizabeth's attention. "I know it's important, but you've holed yourself up in your room the entire day yesterday. I'm not letting you do it again today." Elizabeth made a noise of protest, but the magpie wouldn't take any of it. "You're burning yourself out, and you're Grandparents probably think you're dead. Go take a break outside please," Silver begged, giving the blonde a puppy-eyed look.

Elizabeth sighed. "Fine, fine, you win," she caved, closing her notebook and tucking it under her mattress, ignoring Jumbe's grumbling when she moved her hand, "I'll go walk around for an hour or so if it makes you happy."

"It does!" Silver chirped, fluttering around the room.

Elizabeth shook her head and stood up, stretching her arms to the ceiling to wake up her limbs. She changed her clothes to something presentable—a cozy hoodie and sweat pants—making sure that the pullover was big enough for her kwamis to hide in if need be. She really didn't feel like taking the backpack with her.

Once she came out of her closet, Jumbe floated over. "I'm going to stay here," he announced, flying over to flop on his pillow, making it clear that he intended to sleep the entire time they were gone.

Elizabeth didn't push him on the subject, simply shrugging and walking over to Silver, who was waiting at the door. "I guess it's just you and me, huh?"

"Yep! This will be fun!" Silver exclaimed, happily claiming Jumbe's usual spot on the side of Elizabeth's neck. The dirty blonde smiled, reminded Jumbe to stay out of trouble, and left her bedroom.

The second she walked out of the house she was engulfed in the hot afternoon air. The sky was clear, not a cloud in sight, allowing the sun to reign superior and cook the citizens of Paris even more. Elizabeth took a moment to adjust to the bright light before going on her way, unbothered by the sun or the heat since she had grown accustomed to most weather scenarios from her years of travel.

Elizabeth wasn't the only person in Paris who was intent on enjoying the outdoors despite the boiling temperature. There were many others on the streets as well, running, laughing, and enjoying the weekend.

"Isn't this nice?" Silver sighed, basking in the sun as best she could while staying hidden.

"Yeah," Elizabeth hummed, "it's been awhile since I spent time outdoors."

"At this rate you're going to lose your tan," Silver giggled, her hands over her mouth, "you're becoming a city girl!"

"I am not," Elizabeth quipped, desperately wanting to glare at her kwami but not willing to risk it, "I have to spend a lot of time at school and homework. Then I also have to keep up with my research and socialize with my grandparents so they don't think I'm dead. It's a delicate balancing process that I haven't mastered yet."

"Besides," the blonde girl continued, "I still go out at all the time as Night Angel. It might not be the same as exploring, but there's a similar principle to it."

"Whatever you say, city girl."

"You're horrible," Elizabeth groaned, entering a park and flopping down on the grass, "this conversation is done. I'm done."

Silver giggled but said nothing, snuggling into Elizabeth's neck. The dirty blonde relaxed, closing her eyes and soaking in the sun. Her hands found their way into her hoodie's main pocket, where she felt the smooth touch of plastic which crinkled slightly under her touch. Elizabeth frowned, pushing herself up into a sitting position before pulling out the foreign object. What greeted her was a ziplock bag containing a familiar golden necklace. Her brows furrowed.