21 - Push Passed Everything

Start from the beginning

Cory's fingers plucked the strings as most everyone in the café was watching her. Some were silently singing or mouthing the words because they new them. Others were simply listening.

I still press your letters to my lips

And cherish them in parts of me

That savor every kiss

I couldn't face a life without your light

But all of that was ripped apart

When you refused to fight

So save your breath, I will not care

I think I've made it very clear

You couldn't hate enough to love

Is that supposed to be enough?

I only wish you weren't my friend

Then I could hurt you in the end

I never claimed to be a saint

Ooh, my hope was banished long ago

It took the death of hope to let you go

There was one person in particular that was watching Cory quite closely, observing her. They liked what they saw. She was perfect...

Ohh!

So break yourself against my stones

And spit your pity in my soul

You never needed any help

You sold me out to save yourself

And I won't listen to your shame

You ran away, you're all the same

Angels lie to keep control

Ooh, my love was promised long ago

If you still care, don't ever let me know...

x

Cory sang two more songs, then decided to take a break and grab another cup of coffee. She sat down and relaxed, then noticed an older gentlemen in a suit walk her way. He was dark skinned and his hair was graying; he had a kind smile on his face. Cory tries to perk up a bit as he approaches her.

"Hello. You're Corianne Stanley, yes?"

"That's me."

"Pleasure to meet you. My name is Donivan Ross. May I?" He asks, asking for permission to sit. Cory nods.

Donivan sits and gives Cory a smile, "I heard from a collegue of mine that you came and sang here on Saturdays and he said that I just had to hear you."

Cory smiles, "Well, I'm flattered." She says.

"Are you still in high school?"

"Yes. I'm a senior."

"Have you ever thought about college?"

Cory sips her coffee, then swallows, "No, not really." She answers, honestly.

"Well, maybe you should start." Donivan says, "I'm a talent scout from the Butler School of Music, and I think you'd make an excellent student."

Cory's eyes widen, "Really?"

He nods, "Yes. Have any other talent scouts approached you?"

"No."

"Well, great! Although I must say, I am quite surprised to hear that. You're a very talented girl, Miss Stanley; I think you'd make a fine student at Butler. After seeing that performance, I'm thinking early enrollment; maye even a scholarship."