Chapter Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"That's what I said." Damien responds smartly.

She ignored his smart remark, "What kind of business?"

Damien studied his cousin for a minute, "I guess you'd have to find out."

Ember stepped towards him, "Damien..."

"Man, watch out Ember and don't get in my way." He snapped angrily while pushing her away.

"Damien just tell me." Ember says. Instead of answering her, he left the kitchen. Ember grabbed her water bottle and exited behind him but he had already disappeared in the sea of teenagers.

She traveled back outside to where they were playing football. The boys were on a break but Adonis was nowhere to be found. Malik and Trevor were posted up near the food tables, conversing with others.

"Where is Adonis?" Ember asked.

"He went looking for you." Malik tells her.

Ember didn't fill them in as she quickly walked back towards the house to search for him. Their phones were in the car which was why Adonis didn't want them to split up. They left their phones so they wouldn't get damaged in the water. She could admit that it was her fault, and she should have listened to him. Ember was terrified of losing Adonis and since Damien didn't tell her who or what he was there for, she began to worry. Her family members were always up to something.

She searched the house, starting with the living room, the kitchen, and then she checked by the bathroom where she found him walking down the hall.

The look of frustration rested on his face. "Ember, I told you not to leave my sight." He fussed.

"I know Adonis and I'm sorry. I just wanted something to drink but Damien is here."

"What that got to do with me?"

"He says he's here on business, and I got a bad feeling about it."

"Damien's not going to do shit in front of all these people. He can't be that dumb." Adonis tells her.

Ember thought for a moment, she felt that he would. No one knew her relatives better than she did. "Damien is sneaky, and he can't be trusted. I think we should leave. I don't want to be in the mix if something goes down."

Before Adonis could give her a response, people started screaming. It was screams of terror. Oblivious to what was going on, Adonis grabbed Ember's hand and led her out the back door while everyone else pushed their way through the front curious to see what was going on. Adonis pulled Ember quickly towards the parking lot. He helped her inside of his car, before grabbing his phone from the cupholder. He tried calling Malik and Trevor but neither of them was answering.

Adonis started to worry. Malik and Trevor rode together in Malik's car. Malik's car was still parked beside his and they were nowhere in sight. Some people were leaving and running to their cars afraid because police officers and paramedics were showing up. Half of them were afraid to get caught for underage drinking and staying out past their curfews.

"Lock the doors, I'll be back." Adonis tells Ember.

Ember quickly grabbed his hand, "Adonis I'm not letting you go by yourself."

He loved how caring she was, but he refused to let her get hurt, "I'll be back, I promise."

Instead, Ember climbed out of the car, and closed the door. She intertwined her fingers with his. "I'm not letting you go alone." She says stubbornly.

There was no point in arguing with her. Some how she always won. Without a word, her and Adonis sped walked back towards the beach. There were some people still lingering around speaking amongst each other, some were on the phone and some were crowded together in one spot.