His Past

Percy Jackson was always a loyal boy. In fact, that was his fatal flaw. He was incredibly loyal to his friends, family, and anyone else that he cared for. It didn't matter to him what the cost was. He would protect the ones he cared for with his life.

But he had a rocky relationship with Love. In seventh grade, he had dated an empousa named Kelli. He didn't know she was an empousa at first, and she had almost devoured him until he finally managed to strike her through her back. A year later, he dated a girl named Rachel. They dated for a year until she turned him down to become the Camp's oracle. Then he dated Annabeth. She was his last girlfriend. They also dated for a year before she cheated on him with an Aphrodite kid. All his relationships ended with pain.

Also, they only lasted for a year. Never more, never less. He never liked to be played. But somethimes, it was inevitable. Aphrodite and her son, Cupid, played with his love life until he couldn't take it any more. He had three relationships, all ending in pain and misery. Percy didn't trust Cupid, nor Aphrodite. So he turned to one he could trust. A maiden goddess.

Hestia was always tending the hearth; the heart of a family. This hurt to much for Percy. His family ended when he and Annabeth came to an end. So Hestia was out. Athena was Annabeth's mother; she would only remind Percy of the one who had broken his heart, so she was a no as well. Percy settled for Artemis. He knew she may not accept him. He knew she detested males. But Percy had to try. And so he went off in search of the Hunters of Artemis in hopes of leaving his old mistakes behind and remaining single forever.

Percy's POV

I watched as Annabeth and Mitchel, a son of Aphrodite, kissed on the beach. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought Annabeth loved me. I had just finished proving to her mother that I would be a good husband for her daughter. I had completed the quests she gave me and bought a 17,000 dollar diamond, sapphire, opal, emerald, and amber ring. It was a very intricate design, very rare. The ring itself was gold with sapphire, opal, emerald, and amber spiraling outward and a diamond rose in the middle. I had told Annabeth to meet me at the beach so I could show her the sunset (curtesy of Apollo) and propose to her under the stars.

But all that was ruined when I got to the beach. I chose not to interupt and to leave instead. I clutched the ring in my hand. I kept the ring with me. For some reason, I refused to let it go. I ran to my cabin and packed up my things. I wrote a letter to Chiron telling him that I had left and that I didn't plan on coming back. I left that night, under the cover of the darkness. I stopped at Thalia's pine tree. I thought that maybe she would still hear me if I spoke to her tree.

"Thals?" I ask, testingly.

At first, all I recieved was silence. Then suddenly, "Percy?"

A girl shimmered into existance right in front of me. She had on a silver hunters jacket with ripped jeans and a black death to Barbie t-shirt with a picture of a barbie doll wih an arrow through its head.

"Hey, Thals. I just wanted to tell you that I'm leaving Camp."

"What? Why?"

"Because I just caught Annabeth cheating on me. I'm going off on my own," I said.

"Oh that little spawn of Athena!!!! Oh, just wait till I get my hands on her!!! I'll make her wish she never cheated on you!!! That dirty little piece of hellhound-" She started.

"Alright now, Pineneedle. No need to go all 'Death to Annabeth' on me. I'm fine. Really," I interupted.

She raised her eyebrows skeptically. "Seaweed Brain, I know when you are fine and when you are not. And right now, you most definitely are not fine," she said.

"Alright fine. You got me. Any way, I'd best be off. I'll try to see you soon, Thalia. Goodbye. This may well be the last time I will ever talk to you again." Unless my plan works, I added in my head.

"Bye Seaweed Brain," she said and disappeared.

And I left.

I had been walking for days now, without a sign of anything. I had decided to try to find civilization. If I was going to follow through with my plan, I may as well get myself a bow and learn how to shoot it right.

I reached a small city four hours later and went into a hunting store. I found a bow that was more traditional than the ones mortals use these days. The one I found was much closer to that of Artemis's huntresses than any of the other bows in this place. I found a quiver and a lot of arrows. I believe I now had about 500 arrows in my backpack and quiver.

I know it wasn't right, but I used the mist to make paper look like money and paid for all the stuff. Then I went to the nearby convinience store and bought some nailpolish. Why? Because I bought silver nailpolish. If I put a couple coats of this stuff on my arrowheads, they would be able to kill werewolves and other mythological creatures. These mortals are geniuses and they didn't even know it!!!

I went out into the woods and painted my arrows. Then I brought out Riptide and carved a target out in a nearby tree. I continued to aim the best I could until I could shoot a bullseye every time. I even tried with my eyes closed and got a bullseye!!!!! I was amazed at how good I had become.

I set up camp and stayed there for the night. But with sleep came dreams. And, for demigods, dreams were not good.

I ran. I didn't know what I was running from, but I ran. I risked a glance back. Hoards of monsters were after me. I saw snake women, the Minotour, Kampê. I saw Earthborn, Cyclopses, Hellhounds. And I ran faster.

You can't run forever, son of Poseidon. Soon you will tire an my sons will destroy you and the ones you love. And you can do nothing to stop it. The voice of Gaea sang in my head.

I ignored her. I kept running, but I could feel my energy draining. I slowed unil I could not run any farther. Just as the monsters were about to kill me, the earth swallowed me. I was in Alaska, drowning in the muskeg. I couldn't breath. I was desperatly grabbing at any thing that I could use to save myself, to pull me back up to the surface.

It's no use, my pawn. You cannot escape. Your friends will be left to fight a war they cannot win without you. Join me, Percy. Join me, and you will not have to suffer. Gaea's voice told me. Or, you can die, here, in my embreace.

I continued struggling. But I was losing oxygen fast. I couldn't stay here much longer. I could feel my grip on reality loosen and my life draining. I was going to die. I was going to die, here, within the earth, where no one would ever find me.

I jolted awake, drenched in sweat and feeling as if I were falling. I felt the ground. It was solid. Thank the gods. I wasn't sinking into the earth. Gaea was put back to sleep. This time for good.

I packed up my things and set off once again. I had spent too much time here and was risking being found. It was pure luck that no monsters have found me yet.

I heard a low growl come from behind me.

Nice job jinxing it. I told myself. Then I readied my bow and aimed at the sound.