14

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈 saw when my eyes first opened was the bright light shining down upon me

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈 saw when my eyes first opened was the bright light shining down upon me. Wincing in pain, I blocked the light with my hand while also letting out a groan. My head didn't feel right at all; all my thoughts were fuzzy like I couldn't concentrate on anything that was going on around me. It reminded me of what had happened when I was a little girl, the fuzzy feeling did. I hated it.

Warmth overtook me as someone laced their fingers through mine. The touch was so tender and sweet, allowing me to forget about what happened all those years ago. I couldn't open my eyes or the pain in my head would get worse, so I focused on the feeling of the hand in mine. My ears were picking up on some voices; I didn't listen to that hard to them. Instead, I listened to the sound of my heart beating steadily in my chest. I was still alive, even after everything I had been through. I was a survivor.

"Raya, are you awake?" a soft voice said. "Please tell me you're awake."

I squinted up at the person talking to me and muttered, "I'm awake now."

The only thing I could see was the signature hair of Tahno as it flopped into his face. He must have been running a worried hand through his hair a lot because it was a mess. I knew there was another person in the room with us, but I didn't want to look at who it was. My head couldn't take the immense light.

"Mako, go get the doctor," Tahno said. I winced in pain as his voice hit my ears. "Tell him that she's awake."

A voice answered Tahno, but they were much softer than Tahno was. The soft click of the door told me that whoever else was in there had left. I groaned as a wave of dizziness hit me. 

"What's wrong, Raya?"

"My head hurts so much right now," I told Tahno. Thankfully, he sat forward, blocking all the sunlight from hitting my eyes. He was shrouded in darkness as he blocked the light. The pain in my head lessened slightly, giving me more headspace to think about what happened." "What's wrong with me? Where am I at?"

"You fainted," he said with a quick nod. "Thankfully, there was a doctor at the match, so you got help very quickly." I continued to stare up at him, so he sighed. "We're actually in Mako's apartment above the arena, waiting for the doctor to come back. He had to go check on one of the spectators. A fight broke out right as you passed out. One person probably broke his nose."

The match. The probending match. I frowned slightly as I began to remember what had happened before I fainted. I was angry about something, I knew that. Angry and confused, perhaps. I didn't know right then, but I knew I was still angry at Tahno for whatever happened. 

I didn't have more time to try to remember what happened because the door to the room I was laying in opened up. A man I had never seen before entered, with Mako trailing behind him slowly. Mako looked upset about something as he hovered in the corner of the room. The man walked up to me, an easy smile on his face.