08

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎𝐃𝐀𝐘, making the snow slushy and slick

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎𝐃𝐀𝐘, making the snow slushy and slick. Even if I loved the snow, I didn't like this. Walking home was made ten times harder because I was trying not to fall and crack my head open on the ground. And today was worse because my bag was heavier than usual. I had snagged some of the tools from work so that I could finally try to finish Mako's scarf. I was tired of carrying it with me wherever I went. Plus, I figured that he was stressed out about it, so I didn't want to stress him out more. 

Glancing around the area I was at, I crossed the street and turned toward the bay. My jacket rustled in the wind. Since I was closer to the water, the wind was harsher and cooler, though it didn't make me cold. The sun was out and it shone on me, instantly warming me up. Today was one of my favorite days and I should have been happy, but I wasn't. 

So many things were on my mind at that moment. I was still upset with Mako, and Tahno made me a little angry this morning. He woke me up early in the morning, banging around in the kitchen. He told me that he was fixing things for us, and when I questioned him about why he was doing it so early, he dodged the question. We had a small fight and then I stormed out of the house and went to work. I felt bad for being rude to him, but he was rude to me first. I also didn't feel very good. My head was hurting, but it wasn't that bad. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me beside the headache, but whatever it was, it threw me off my game. 

I spotted the house across the sand, but for some reason, I didn't want to go home yet. Slowing my steps, I gripped my bag on my shoulder. My head turned toward the water, changing my path. When we first bought this house, I would spend my evenings camped out in front of the water. There was something so comforting about the push and pull of the waves, and it helped with my anxiety. Maybe that was the reason why Tahno bought the house, just to help me get over what happened. 

Gently brushing the snow away, I sat down in the sand, setting my bag to the side. The waves were wilder than usual, but they couldn't reach me where I sat. The sunlight bounced off of the waves, the warm orange color settling my racing heart. I sucked in a deep breath of the salty sea air, a smile replacing the frown on my face. I closed my eyes, leaning back on my hands. 

My hair was blown out of its sloppy braid, but I didn't care. Maybe my head would feel better if I had my hair loose. The tension in my shoulders eased slightly and the pressure on my chest disappeared. I loved the water and how it made me feel so much better. Being the daughter of Water Tribe parents helped with my love of the water, though if I were born to other people, I think I'd still love the water. 

Tahno didn't love the water as much as me, which was weird. He was a waterbender, so I figured he would love it more than me. He sure loved to practice waterbending for his pro-bending matches. Speaking of pro-bending, I hadn't ever been to one of his matches. Pro-bending never made sense to me, so I didn't want to watch it. Tahno had asked me to come many times, but I always said no because I had other things to do. 

A soft shadow fell over me, so I slowly opened my eyes and glanced to the side. Tahno was standing above me, a blank look on his face. "What are you doing?" I asked him, cocking my head to the side. 

"I could ask you the same thing."

I shrugged, looking back out at the water. "I'm not doing anything." I patted the sand next to me, saying, "Why don't you sit with me?"

Tahno silently sat down. I reached out and grabbed his arm, scooting closer to him. I laid my head down on his shoulder, my eyes fluttering shut. There was something about Tahno that made me feel safe wherever I was. He was my best friend in the whole world, and I loved him dearly. 

The warmth from the sunlight dipped away from my body, which meant that the sun was setting. I didn't want to go in yet, but it was bound to get colder as the night went on. I didn't move from my spot, though. I wanted to sit here for as long as I could before going in. 

"Do you want to come to my pro-bending match next week?" I let out a laugh, opening my eyes. Lifting my head off his shoulder, I laughed again. Tahno glared at me and said, "What are you laughing at? It was a perfectly decent question."

"I was just thinking about you and your pro-bending matches," I said, shaking my head. "You know I don't like pro-bending."

"Yeah, but I feel like this is going to be a good one. Trust me, Raya."

Pursing my lips, I laid my head back down on his shoulder. I knew how much it would mean to him if I went to his match. He helped me with my work and was proud of me, so I should go to his match to show him how proud I am of him. "I'd love to go, Tahno."

"Really?" There was an excited tone to his voice. He drew away from me, making me look over at him again. His face lit up, making me smile wider. "Are you for real?"

"Yeah," I said, rolling my eyes. "Or do you not want me to go?"

"I do want you to go!"

"Okay then." I nodded, grabbing my bag from beside me. I draped it across my lap, playing with the strap. "I'll go. Who are you going against?"

"The Fire Ferrets."

Nodding again, I stretch my hands up above my head. A yawn escaped from my lips, and I realized how tired I was. "Have you made dinner yet?"

"Of course," Tahno said, chuckling. "Let's go eat and then go to bed. I know you've had a long couple of days and so have I."

"Good plan." We both stood up, but before Tahno could start walking back toward the house, I threw my arms around his neck. He caught me in his arms, sighing in my ear. "Thanks for being the best big brother a girl could ask for."

"It's easy being your older brother," he whispered. "You're the best sister I could ask for."

"I know." 

Pulling away from him, I gave him a goofy smile. He rolled his eyes before turning on his heel and walking back toward the house. I watched as he walked away, a warm feeling spreading through my body. He was the best big brother in the world, though he could be a little harsh at times. I loved him, and I knew he loved me too.