"In the long run this is better for you,"

"Can I come home for a night in the week?"

"I am sure we can do that. How was school yesterday?"

"I didn't go,"

"Oh sweetheart, I am sorry. Perhaps tonight you will meet people who are in classes with you,"

"Maybe,"

"Did you enjoy the pizza I sent?"

"Yeah. Have mum and dad called yet?"

"No, but you can call them. I won't be upset,"

"No thank you,"

She nodded and pulled a bear out of her bag, placing it on my bed.

"That's from Ash. I am gonna go now because I am worried about giving you something, but have fun later, and we can call,"

"Okay,"

"I love you so, so much,"

"I love you too,"

She blew me a kiss and I did one back, practically attaching myself to the chair so that I didn't run after her.

Once she left, I put my head in my knees and let out a loud groan, hitting the side of the chair with my fist.

"I know this is tough,"

"You don't. Ashton and Kaykay are the first people to care for me properly for as long as I can remember,"

"And you need to be able to be away from them for a day or two. They can't be with you like this forever,"

"But right now we are in some unusual circumstances," I shouted, looking up at Michael, "Right now isn't normal. Look at me! I have no hair, I have a huge scar up my torso, a tube in my arm, I have been crying for about two days, and this is basically my home. Kaykay wasted her time,"

"No she didn't,"

"Exactly and- what?"

"She did not waste her time. Come and sit beside me,"

I did, leaning into his hold. He was warm, and held me close.

"You are so special. You have aspirations, you have hope, and you are so, so strong. All of us are astounded by the recovery you have made, because you have almost sailed through it. I am sure it doesn't feel like that to you, but from our perspective, it feels like a miracle,"

"I haven't sailed through,"

"You have, you had no post op complications. That's not me discrediting your pain at all, but I just know that your determination is what helped. And the love that you have, even if they are not here all the time. Kaykay and Ashton's love is still with you, even if they're not,"

"That's hard to remember,"

"It is. When I moved out of home it was difficult, but I know mum and dad love me more than anything else in the world. You are that person to them,"

"Thanks, Mike,"

"That's okay. I am going home for a bit, so you're with Luke for the day, but I will be back later,"

I nodded and he gathered his things, Luke leaving the bathroom. He passed me my toothbrush and toothpaste, then began to dry his hair, so I brushed them.

After, I perched on my bed and he sat beside me, gently moving my feeding tube.

"Is there anything you want to do today?"