Race against time

Start from the beginning

"Oh! Oh, no. You guys- I am so sorry. Look, all our work is mixed up. And we only have only a few minutes before they won't take submissions!" Lila stated dramatically, dropping down to her hands and knees to search for her own papers. 

"It's no problem, Lila. But we need to hurry," Adrien said falling to his knees also to collect our dispersed assignment.

"It's all my fault, we're all going to be late!" She wailed, checking her phone for the time before then glancing back down at the floor.

This acting is atrocious, I thought to myself as I kneeled to collect folders. It occurred to me something didn't add up, and whatever she was doing was rather suspicious. Why did she purposely bump into us? She'll be late too. What's she trying to gain from this?

"Why were you going in the opposite direction to us, Lila? We have to hand it in down the corridor," I forcefully said upon her. She suddenly froze, her brain probably wracking with different lies to choose from as an excuse. Seeing her tormented made me feel content. 

"Uhm, well I thought we were handing it in at our homeroom. Which is the direction I was going in!" Lila said with a hint of paranoia, yet a little over enthusiastically. Watching her beam in success made my pride falter. I simply rolled my eyes, continuing to hand sheets to Adrien, separating our own assignment from hers.  

"No, Lila." I said firmly, unhappy that she got away with such a comment. "The science room. We are handing our science project in the science classroom." I tap the bottom of the paper harshly against the floor to keep it together neatly, the sound being the loudest thing in the silent corridor. Adrien gave me a side glance, his face practically saying 'don't even bother,' and handed me a section of the report. By the time we gathered all out sheets, there was barely a minute left until we wouldn't make the submission. 

"Oh, this one is yours. Here Adrien," Lila said sweetly, reaching the sheet out to the boy, who gratefully took it. 

I glance upon Lila to bestow my hatred on her, excited to leave her alone to collect her remaining assignment by herself. Yet to my surprise, there was a satisfied expression on her face she could barely hide. Her eyes were burning with determination, they could've ignited at any second. To that, I felt anxious and disturbed. Her face told me 'I've won.' To put it simply, whatever she had planned had succeeded. She was no longer paying attention to me, just smiling slightly to herself, eyes wide and overflowing with evil intentions, as though in a trance. I snapped away from her after hearing Adrien call my for the fifth time. 

"Marinette! Seriously, we really need to go. Ms. Mendeleiev isn't going to accept us if we are even half a second late," the boy said. I quickly pace over to him, clinging the sheets of paper to my chest. He grabbed me by my sleeve and tugged me along. I look back at Lila, who was still on her hands picking up her papers, completely unbothered. Though we were moving further away from her with each step, she began to look irritated now that I was making contact with Adrien. But it wasn't enough, usually she would be fuming in utter jealousy. But there was still a look of accomplishment on her smug little face. 

"Adrien, here. Take these quick," I said throwing half the assignment I held onto him, allowing for me to pull him along the corridor without dropping a thing. As I briskly pull him along, I could only imagine the expression on Lila's face now. Though deep down, worry sat heavily on my chest. The two of us turned the corner, out of sight from Lila's peering eyes. Finally, our destination was in view. 

"Almost there?" Adrien said from behind me, carrying the burden of the assignment while I dragged him along.

"I see the door! We've probably got 30 seconds," I breathe out harshly, my legs stomping down the hall. Suddenly, we book it. Sprinting down the hall, nothing could be heard but the empty sounds of echoing footsteps filling up the building. I kick the door open, not surprised to see Ms. Mendeleiev with a countdown timer on her desk. We heave the assignment onto her in a fluster, huffing and puffing with all our might.

"With only three seconds to spare. You two are always the last to arrive," she said coldly, almost disappointed yet relieved we had made it.  

"Actually, we finished it within a few days-" Adrien said but was cut-off by the teacher. 

"Excuses, excuses! I've got it now and there is a hefty amount of paperwork here, but just consider yourself lucky you passed!" she scolded, flipping through it all. 

"By the way, Ms. Mendeleiev- Lila isn't too far behind us, she'll be here shortly," Adrien mentioned feeling a little empathetic for the girl who wouldn't make it on time. 

"Lila Rossi? What are you talking about? She handed her assignment in days ago. Now, out with you! I have better things to do," Ms. Mendeleiev said pushing us out of the room, slamming the door shut. We look at each other frozen, both clearly confused by what our teacher had said. But we didn't care at that point, we were just relieved we had made it in time. We stood in silence for a moment before instantly collapsing. Sliding down the wall, my legs trembling from running so fast, I turn to Adrien who also looked exhausted. He flung his head back and let out a relieved sigh. 

"Well that was a close one," he said unmoving, glancing out the window. 

"It really was," I replied, admiring the colour of the sky as it started to change. Clouds started to progressively turn orange, and the distant laughs and chatter of students outside the building became mute. 

"Never again," Adrien said in the silence putting his hand over his chest.  

"Truly exhausting," I mumbled also regaining my breath. 

"If there's a next time, let's hand it in the moment we finish it," he chuckled, his emerald green eyes meeting my blue ones. 

Next time? I thought intently. 

"Definitely. I've never ran so desperately," I huffed. He laughed at my comment, turning back to face the window, closing his eyes for a moment.

"Well, we made it. Good job," he reached out his hand unintentionally, forming it to a fist, after realising it, he nervously waited for me to do the same. I lean forward, mirroring his gesture to meet my fist with his. He probably didn't mean to do that.

Pound it, I said to inwardly to myself, knowing for sure he said it to himself too. 

A/N: Don't forget to vote if you want more :))