Conflict of Interest

After the short but tensed ride to the near by supermarket from our school, I could finally escape the vehicle after Itachi parked his car.

There were 3 of us together - Itachi, Sasuke and I. As though the atmosphere wasn't already awkward enough, when we were grocery shopping in the supermarket, the tension between us all somehow grew even worse.

We decided on the pasta that we were going to have tonight, an easy but tasty dish! Spaghetti Bolognese.
I grabbed some ingredients such as onions, carrots and garlic into the shopping cart as Itachi picked out the beef while Sasuke was looking at his favourite tomatoes.

I continued pushing the cart down the aisle, looking for spaghetti. At this point, I had lost the brothers since I was wandering around. When I finally caught sight of it, it was on the highest shelf. I could barely reach it even though I was on my tiptoes.

My fingers scratching the surface of the package, hoping to tip it over or pinching the plastic in between my fingers for a better grip.

Abruptly, it slipped out of my grasps as a pair of hands lifted it even higher.
"I got it." Sasuke claimed as he clicked his tongue in annoyance.
His brother held it on the other end, refusing to let go.
"It's fine, I'm taller. I got it." He politely smiled.

"I already have a firm hold of it. Let go, you'll just drop it." The younger brother asserted.

"Your strong hold on it will only end up crushing it." Surprisingly, Itachi was insisting.

"I won't. I'm careful with the things I need."
It was an on going bickering over some pasta between the brothers as they started to sound more hostile, I jumped up to snatch it from their hands while they were distracted with each other.

"There, I have it!" I declared in victory as I dropped the reward into the shopping trolley. "Jeez, both of you were wasting time on something so trivial." I sighed, looking into the cart I spotted the chosen tomatoes and minced beef.

"It's not trivial." The brothers muttered in unison behind me as I walked further into the aisle, searching for italian spices.

Silly them.
Why are they trying to ruin such a strong bond over something so trivial?
They're all they have left.
I'm just not worth it.

At least they still have each other as family.
I have no one.
I would trade anything to have my family back.
That's why I can't stand it when I watch them fight over me.

We carried the shopping bags out of the car and onto the kitchen counter.
I helped with washing tomatoes while Itachi proceeded to oil and heat his saucepan.

Usually Sasuke would be in his room until dinner was ready. But he was sitting on the kitchen counter, scrolling on his mobile phone after he helped set the dinner table.

Itachi was busy with cooking the meat and boiling of pasta, I started to chopping the carrots and onions since we had to prep the sauce next. "Do you want me to cut the tomatoes for you?" Sasuke hovered above me, whispering into my ear as if being sneaky.

I elbowed him gently, requesting for space.
"I'm good, I'll do it after this." I replied him softly. Itachi was still focused on the stove, with his back turned to us.

"As you wish." He returned to his seat on the counter, eyes still following me like a hawk.
"Everything good over there, Chef Naruto?" Itachi's voice diverted me away from Sasuke. He called out to me before picking up a strand of pasta and tasted it.

"Here, taste it too." He scooped up another strand of pasta and walked over to me. "Careful, it might be too hot for you." He blew at it gently before feeding it to me to test its texture.

I nodded, agreeing to take it off the heat for now. I finished dicing the tomatoes and handed it to Itachi where he finished up the sauce and mixing it with the pasta.

"We did it!" I jumped for joy as Itachi served 3 plates of beautifully garnished and wonderful smelling noodles. He gave me a high five and a hug, "You did great, Naruto. I'd love to have you as my kitchen assistant more often."

"He won't have the time. We have the finals coming up." I could almost taste the salt in the air, not from the pasta but coming from the one eating it.
"I'm sure I can find the time to!" I ignored the younger brother and replied to the older one as we started to eat.

It was delicious!
Itachi was such a great cook.
It would be good to cook more with him, that way I could improve my cooking skills so I don't have to rely on instant ramen or eggs whenever my stomach is empty.

"Don't forget, I'm tutoring you tonight." Sasuke added nonchalantly, twirling his fork into his pasta but barely taking a few bites out of it.
"I know, I know. But I'll have to do the dishes first." I rolled my eyes at him, since when did he become such a nagging mother.

"Brother, take a break. Naruto and I will finish up here." The younger Uchiha brushed his brother aside as he joined me in the kitchen.
"Sure.. I'll go take a shower now." Itachi left us to ourselves.
Placing the plates down into the sink, we started scrubbing down the pot, pan and plates together.

It was weird doing dishes with Sasuke as he rarely helps out with the household chores.

"..Thank you for dinner tonight. It was great." He mumbled under his breath. It was such a rare sight to see him expressing any bit of gratefulness.
"But you barely ate any." I looked up at him, confused by his statement.
"My appetite wasn't so good today. I promise to eat more the next time you cook." His eyes looked dimmed as they focused onto the dishes in front of him.

"Hah! Even if it's my shitty instant ramen?" I elbowed him in the ribs playfully, hoping to cheer him up.

"Yeah. Even if it's your shitty instant ramen."