3 - Staying over

Kageyama

Hinata.. no. Shoyo and I were lying on my king-sized bed, the carrot top texting away on his phone. He let out a snicker.

"What's funny?" I asked softly.

"Oh, I'm just texting Aiko," He looked towards me, a ghost of a smile still dancing on his face

"Who?"

"The girl from lunchtime." 

"The one who asked you out." I stated sternly, unamused.

"Mhm!"

"The one who said you would rather spend time with her than me." I said in the same tone, with a hint of anger, "I guess she isn't wrong."

"She apologised about it," He defended with a pout, "And I told you before as well, I would rather spend time with you."

"To who? Cause I don't recall being apologised to." I said, trying not to get worked up, "And that's why you're texting her while I'm right next to you right?"

"Why are you so clingy Kageyama? I can have other friends you know!!" He snapped. I felt my heart get crushed. Bruised and broken. He wasn't calling me Tobio anymore.

"Ouch." I muttered, getting out of bed and walking out.

"Kage-" he started to say

"Fuck off." I grumbled, putting on my headphones and shutting my eyes.

'Why are you so clingy?' 

'Tobio...' His eyes looked into mine, sparkling. 'I can have other friends you know!' The feeling of my heart being crushed, being stomped on.

'Kageyama, you are too clingy, I hate you!' He had never said this but I was sure he felt that way.

'You're so boring.' My mind told me, 'That's why he doesn't want to be with you.'

I pulled out my headphones, "You can go home, no need to stay the night." I said. Hinata looked up in surprise. 

"B-but-"

"I don't want to hear it Hinata, please, just go."

"Alright." He packed up his stuff, leaving. I didn't even see him to the door. It was better this way. 

***

Hinata

I left Kageyama's house, texting my mother that plans had changed. There was a strange feeling, a painful burden, pressing my chest. I had upset Kageyama, and now he didn't want to talk to me. I felt like shit.

I texted Aiko, telling her that I had some homework to do, and would talk to her later. Right now, I wanted to just hold someone, to hug them, and when I shut my eyes to imagine this, I could smell the oh-so familiar scent of cool mint breath, a soothing voice whispering sweet nothings into my hair, telling me that it was okay. 

It was the very scent of Kageyama, the exact voice of Kageyama, the only person whose arms I would never feel wrapped around me. Because I had messed up, big time. 

Even if I hadn't, Kageyama hated physical contact, so the possibility was below zero. I felt hot tears rolling down my cheeks, I heard the wind howling with amusement at how pathetic I was, but what could I say to defend myself? 

I realised that I was running, had probably been for the past few minutes. My calves burned with lactic acid, sweat mixed with tears and dripping down my chin. Breath raspy and irregular as sobs clogged my throat.

I reached my house, muddy, wet, and full of regret. I had fallen over countless times, cried an ocean, and felt myself hurting. I had never felt this way. I tried texting and calling Kageyama but he was engaged and offline. He replied to my text 3 hours later, with "Sorry I'm busy with my 'other friends', see you at training tomorrow." 

I went to bed without eating. 

The next morning, my mother, obviously sensing my distress, made my favourite food, tamago kake gohan. I picked at the food, still not over the events of last night. My mother was quick to notice this.

"What's wrong, Shoyo?" The three words made me lose my self control. In tears and helpless sobs, I told her what had happened. She listened patiently, nodding along. Her arms wrapped around me when I choked. 

"Tell me, do you like Kageyama?" She asked after I'd finished talking.

"Well he's my friend, so yes." I said, as I wiped my eyes

"It seems to me that it's more than a friend." She said in a thoughtful way.

"What do you mean?"

"You sound like you really like him, he obviously means a lot to you. And I think he feels the same way." She smiled. Kageyama liked me? Not possible.

"No, no." I shook my head violently, "We're just friends."

"If you say so Shoyo," she said sadly, carrying away my empty bowl. I hadn't even realised that while telling her everything, I had eaten up the food. I guess I was really hungry. 

***

Kageyama

At practise, Hinata and I talked only as required. There were no side conversations shared, no mentions of the previous night's events. The tension was unbearable. Our friendship was at risk, and surprisingly, I wasn't the cause of that.

I continued to set, and he continued to spike, but that was it. We weren't ignoring each other though, so no one noticed. Or so I thought. 

After practise, Sugawara called me over for 'Setter talk'. I was confused, cause we weren't really close, but I knew that Suga had a cheerful and caring personality, and he always looked out for his teammates. It was that part of him that made him a trusted player. 

"What's with you and Hinata?" he asked, a hand on my shoulder as he lead me out of the gym. I was surprised, and of course that showed on my face, which was confirmation for the upperclassman. 

"What do you mean?" I asked, attempting to act oblivious.

"There has been some tension between you this morning, are you sure you'll be okay for the practise matches after school?"

"Yeah, it was just a small disagreement."

"Well I do hope it works out. You can always talk to me if you need, okay?" He said with his signature smile.

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind," I nodded, bowing, which caused him to chuckle and smack my back, knocking the wind out of me.

"Don't be so formal about it!" He grinned, oblivious to the fact that he had cause me to stumbled. I coughed helplessly.

"Well, I'll see you after school," I managed to choke out between coughs. The bell rang for the beginning of school and we said our goodbyes before separating and going our own ways.

Lunch was going to be awkward.

***