9 - Confusing confessions

Kageyama

All hope for fixing our broken relationship was gone. Now I was clinging to the last string. My courage to confess. 

It was the last day of training camp, and despite my countless efforts to win him back, Hinata had kept himself at a distance that was painful. 

Karasuno was on the peak of it's downfall, sinking deeper and deeper as each practise match passed. We had lost our moral, after all. 

Everyone was being surprisingly nice to me though, especially Tsukishima. It almost seemed as if they could sense my misery and were giving me sympathy.

I didn't want sympathy. I wanted Hinata. 

As I packed my bags and cleaned up the room, I mentally revised what I was going to say. 

'Hinata, could we talk?' No. 'Hinata I need to talk.'

"Hinata." I said, voice shaking slightly. The carrot top looked up at me. 

"Hmm?" 

'I wanna tell you something' No. 'I need to tell you something.'

"I really need to tell you something, so please listen carefully."

"Hmm ok. Go on."

I took a deep breath, "IreallylikeyounoIloveyouandIknowthatyouprobablydon'tfeelthesamebutIreallyneedyousopleasecomebacktoourteam." I said super fast, my words blurring together.

"Sorry what?"

I inhaled, paused then exhaled, in an attempt to recollect myself, "I love you." My voice was hoarse and croaky, filled with emotions. Hinata stared up at me with surprise. 

"Please don't joke around like that." He said softly, no emotion evident in his voice, before turning away. 

Hot tears rolled down my cheeks, "I-I'm sorry. P-please forget I said that." I choked, running out the door. I felt like someone had shot me in the heart, the pain unbearable. 

I wanted to curl up into a ball and sob. 

I wanted to run away and never come back.

But I did none of those things. Instead I wiped my tears and sighed. "Tch. Pathetic." I told myself. 

Suddenly, I felt my vision blur, and my head hit something hard. All I could see was darkness.

***

Hinata

"I love you" as the words reached my ears, my heart decided to have a brutal disco party, thumping furiously against my ribs at a force that could have easily shattered my frail ribs.

Kageyama... loved me? No that wasn't possible. Surely he was joking. But I couldn't sense amusement in his tone. Maybe he was just really good at hiding it.

"Please don't joke around like that." I said softly, turning away to hide my expression.

A sob. I heard it behind me, "I'm sorry. Please forget I said that." Voice trembling and cracking, Kageyama ran out of the room.

Shit. He hadn't been kidding. After taking a moment in attempt to recompose myself, I rushed out of the room. 

Kageyama was on the floor, knocked out. His breathing was unsteady. 

"I love you too..." I said softly, tears wetting my cheeks. I turned away and ran, towards the infirmary. 

"K-kageyama.. On the ground.. fainted.. Please hurry!" I screamed between sobs and pants. The nurse and Coach Ukai rushed behind me. I clung to Kageyama as the doctors carried him into the ambulance. 

Mumbling to myself, I must have sounded like a maniac. But that was my coping mechanism, the only way I could stay calm and sane. 

I sat outside in the waiting room, eyes shut and face streaked with tears. Oikawa sat next to me, an arm wrapped around my shoulder, his head resting on mine whispering softly into my ear.

"It's gonna be okay. Iwa-chan just went to talk to the doctor."

I whimpered and shivered, eyes stinging and temple throbbing. 

"Do you love him Hinata?" He asked softly. I nodded in response. "Then go back to Karasuno, Kageyama needs you." My eyes widened. Was Oikawa telling me to go back?

"I will if he wakes up." I grumbled.

"When he wakes up." He corrected.

"Same difference." I said.

Iwazumi came over "He's just malnourished and fainted from the lack of energy and the sudden stress. It seems as if he hasn't been eating much lately."

I jumped up "Is he okay? Has he woken up? Can I see him? Where is he?" I bombarded the third year with questions, receiving a smirk in exchange.

"Eager are we?" I turned bright red, cheeks igniting, "Yes he's okay. He should be waking up any minute now. And yes you are allowed to see him. Room number is 910."

That's all I needed to hear to sprint off.

***

Kageyama

I woke up with bright lights blinding me, the sound of beeps buzzing in my ears, and a piercing pain in my head. 

Blinking furiously to adjust to the light, I opened my eyes. The sound of a door creaking told me that someone was entering.

I was still a bit dazed to make sense of anything but when I heard a high-pitched squeal of delight, followed by a thunder of footsteps, only one thing came to my mind.

"Hinata?" I groaned. I felt arms wrap around me, tight and desperate. Yup that was definitely him.

"I love you too, I love you too!!!" he said desperately, holding my face and kissing my cheek, "Please never scare me like this again!" He exclaimed with teary eyes.

Then it all came back to me. The confession. The rejection. The running out. And everything going dark.

"I'm guessing I'm in hospital?" I said softly. He sighed and nodded.

I kissed his cheek, "Do you really love me?"

"Of course I do."

"Why would you? I mean... I hurt you, was rude to you, and I-" my voice cracked. He ran his fingers through my hair soothingly. 

"And? I've been shit to you too!! But that's besides the point. You were the first one who believed in me, who trusted me just as much I trusted them, and my first friend. My first actual setter. You helped me fly. And I could never thank you enough for that." He said, eyes sparkling

"Please come back to Karasuno..." I whispered.

"I will."

And that's all I needed to hear. I would have my Hinata back. 

***