Chapter 16*

(Third POV)

Allison is sitting with her grandfather in his school's office. "So, who did you say you were studying with tonight?" Gerard asks, sitting himself down on the chair behind his desk. "Just Lydia and y/n. We're prepping for our world history midterm." Allison lies.

"History was one of my favorites, especially military history. Ever hear the phrase, "Know thy enemy?" Gerard asks. "It's from The Art of War by Sun Tzu." Allison says with a smirk, earning a smile from Gerard. "Very good! Know what it means?" he then asks. "In order to win a battle, one must know everything they can about their enemy." Allison says, now slightly frowning.

"Right again. Your father and I happen to be having that very problem-- we've got an enemy about which we know next to nothing. It's killed one of our own, among others." Gerard says, making Allison smile nervously. "I've heard." She says.

"Did you hear Jackson Whittemore didn't show to school today?" Gerard then asks. "He didn't?" Allison asks, playing dumb. "His parents called, and so did the police. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?" he asks, frowning at his granddaughter. Allison shakes her head.

"Well, let me tell you what I know-- I know that a teenager's first instinct is to protect their friends, and I believe my granddaughter would always want to protect her friends, even if it meant lying. So, I want to ask one more question, and this time, with a small advantage." Gerard says, walking over to Allison and putting his hands on her shoulders.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to get a sense of your pulse. Think of it as a game-- all you have to do is tell the truth." He says again, putting two fingers on her neck artery. "Do you know anything about Jackson being missing?" he then asks, waiting for a reply.

"No." Allison says. "Is he in trouble?" Gerard asks. "I-I-I-I don't know. I don't know." Allison stammers. "Does this have anything to do with Scott?" Gerard asks again. "No. I mean, I don't-I don't know." Allison says, beginning to backpedal.

"Your pulse jumped..." Gerard says, making Allison defensively stand up from her seat. "It's because you're scaring me." She says, giving him a pointed look. "Oh, I'm sorry, sweetheart. That was definitely going way too far." Gerard says fake nicely.

"No kidding." Allison says shakily. "It wasn't right for me to use tactics like that. I'm sorry. You can go back to class." Gerard says, stepping away from the door and letting Allison walk through it.

(Your POV)

Stiles and I had decided to take the first shift of watching Jackson, letting Scott go to school. I didn't mind it at all, I was passing all courses anyway. We are sitting in the back of the van, talking to Jackson again.

"Scales? Like a fish?" Jackson asks in disbelief, which makes me laugh a bit. "No, more like a reptile. Um, and, uh... your claws have this liquid that paralyzes people, and you have a tail." Stiles then explains. "I have a tail?" he asks again in disbelief, making Stiles roll his eyes. "Yeah, you have a tail." I say, making Jackson look my way.

"Mmm. Does it do anything?" he asks sarcastically. "No, not that I know of..." Stiles says earnestly. "You used it once to tackle Scott..." I say, remembering how he had used it to throw Scott of his feet. This makes Stiles nod in agreement.

"Can I use it to strangle the both of you?" he then asks, looking angry again. "Yeah, you still don't believe us. All right. The night of the semi-final game-- what did you do right after?" Stiles asks, sighing.