𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗 - 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

Comenzar desde el principio

"Just do whatever you have to do to get it done, Everly," Evan snapped at her.

"Are you two related?" I raised an eyebrow and strained to look at both of them. Their features were similar and they looked like brother and sister. "Huh, I guess the whole hunter thing really does run in the family."

With that, Evan placed a strip of tape over my mouth.

Guess the sedative doesn't paralyse my tongue as well then.

Everly came over to me and stuck an IV needle in my inner elbow, right into the vein — before injecting the sedative into the IV drip bag. Then she tightened the chains around my wrists and waist that were securing me to the bed.

Frowning, I narrowed my eyes; how do you even extract fire anyway?

"I'll check on how you're getting on later," Evan told Everly and walked out.

My head fell back onto the bed as I felt a numbness flood through my body. I closed my eyes — not because I was tired or because of the sedative — but because I was praying. I'm not religious, and I can't claim to believe in any higher being, but I was praying that someone, anyone would come and help me and Theo.

Oh shit. Theo.

Snapping my eyes open, I mumble-screamed against the tape, "MMEOO!!!"

The chances of him hearing me were very, very minimal, and there was a high possibility that some bastard was beating the crap out of him right then — but it was worth a try, right?

Ignoring Everly clattering around with metal instruments (aka: tools for torture), I strained to hear Theo. Regardless of my lack of supernatural hearing, I thought I heard him yell my name back, but I couldn't be sure.

"Now then." Everly came over to me and slowly began peeling off the tape, "I'm going to take this off, and you're not going to scream—"

"THEO!!!" I screamed for him as loud as I possibly could, my lungs burning; I don't think I'd ever screamed that loud before.

"You little bitch!" Everly seethed at me as she clamped her hand down over my mouth, "You're just as troublesome as Evan said you'd be."

She firmly stuck the tape back over my mouth, then grabbed hold of the hospital bed and the IV drip and wheeled me out of the room.

Where are we going? I thought as I squinted at the ceiling — the bright lights were much like those in a hospital and their brightness seemed to burn into the back of my eyeballs.

All of it was like a hospital, actually — the bright white lights, the clean white walls and floor and ceiling, that hospital bed, the medical equipment. There was even that awful stench of bleach that hospitals have. I wouldn't've been surprised to find out that we were in an actual hospital, and that Theo was miles away in some underground bunker being beaten bloody...

But I heard him yell back to me, right?

We took a left, then a right, and then another left before Everly used the foot of the gurney-like bed to push a set of double doors open. The room behind the double doors was dark, and due to that paralytic sedative, all I could see was the dark, metal ceiling.

"Time for you to have a cooldown." The smirk on Everly's face was evident in her voice as she hooked me up to a different IV drip, one with a thicker needle and a thicker tube by the feel of it being jabbed into my arm.

Leaving me blankly staring up at the metallic ceiling, Everly walked off and shut a heavy-sounding door that must've been open when she wheeled me in there — wherever 'there' was.