Ch.9

Edited

This morning I walked into the cafeteria with a purpose. I wanted to make new friends.

With Caydens break down yesterday I knew I had to be very careful.

I picked a random table in the center of the room and sat down in it, a bright smile gracing my face.

I knew Cayden was in a corner somewhere watching me interact with everyone. The possessive spark had faded but wasn't completely gone.

"Hi" one of the smaller guys said from the corner of the table.

"Hello I'm Ash" I said, looking each of them in the eyes.

They seemed to relax when they realized they weren't in trouble.

"What are you doing at this table" the older looking one said, still skeptical.

"I just wanted to say hi and make new friends." I said, still keeping my bubble personality up.

"Ok well then I'm Mike, the other two are Brandon and Alex" the larger one spoke with a slight lisp so when he opened his mouth, I wasn't surprised at the split tongue.

"Hello nice to meet you I guess" Brandon and Alex said, both nodding at me.

The bell rung to signal either free time or cell time.

I got up from the seat and turned back to the small table of 3. "Nice meeting all of you. I hope we see each other again soon" I turned away and skipped over to Cayden who hadn't moved. He looked tense but that melted away when I engulfed him in a hug.

I guess it was more like a side hug since I couldn't get my arms all the way around him.

We held that pose for a few minutes before detangling, moving towards the halls. People parted out of our way like a wave. I could have sworn I saw the same guy who face planted into the tables slam face first into the wall.

"We're going to get haircuts today" Cayden told me as we walked down the halls, hands swaying as they locked together.

"Doesn't something like that cost money" I asked, worried that I didn't have enough.

Cayden chuckled, looking down at me "the haircuts are done by a prisoner who used to be a hairdresser. He is so in love with that type of thing that he doesn't charge anything for it. He can also do piercings and tattoos."

I guess the surprise showed on my face because he chuckled, turning away from me.

"His looks don't fit his passion so don't be weirded or creeped out. He is like a teddy bear on the inside." Cayden said, still looking forwards.

Where we would have turned right, we turned left. We then stopped at a cell a few blocks down from the turn.

Inside I could already see the twins having their hair cut where Vincent and Ezra had already finished.

Vincent just trimmed up his buzz cut while Ezra got the ends trimmed off of his long dirty blonde hair.

The twins seemed to be getting a more stylish cut, shaving the sides while leaving a mop of curly light blonde hair on the top.

The man that was doing their hair surprised me the most. The guy was around my height with scars and tattoos coating all of his body. It was the same man I saw with the makeup the first day I was here.

That felt like forever ago but still at the same time only a month ago.

He had at least 5 piercings on one of his eyebrows and obviously had nose piercings and tongue piercings.

He was very focused and didn't even realize we came in or if he did, didn't acknowledge it.

He finished a few more snips with his scissors before standing back to admire his work.

He gave a small hand mirror to the twins and left them to admire themselves as he turned to us.

"Hey what can I do for ya" he asked, looking between me and Cayden.

This was the first time that I had heard someone speak directly to Cayden and the others without being forced to.

"Just ends trimmed for me and what do you want angel?" He asked.

I blushed at the nickname and turned back to the man.

"Could I just have my ends trimmed" I asked, liking my new longer hair.

"Sure" the man chirped, leading me over to the chair. For something in the prison the chair was extremely well kept, only a few scratches here and there.

The guy got to work, pulling out scissors and spray bottles.

I didn't even want to know how he got something like scissors into the prison but I wasn't complaining as he got to work.

"I'm sorry I didn't catch your name" the guy said, "unless it's Angel," still working on my hair.

I blushed, throwing a side glance at Cayden. "My name is Ashton but I go by Ash" I told him.

"Well nice to finally meet you Ash, my name is Kennith."

"Nice to meet you Kennith."

We sat in comfortable silence while Kennith did my hair.

Not to lie it did feel nice when he ran his hands through my hair. He didn't do it too much though as Cayden along with the others tensed when he did it for too long.

"Alright done" he chirped, spinning me around so that everyone could see. He gave me the small compact mirror he gave the twins.

My hair was the same expect that it had a bit more shape to it and the ends were neat, in a straight line compared to the jagged peaks I had before.

"Thank you so much this looks amazing" I told Kennith, smiling at him as he re organized his things.

"No problem, you ready Cayden?" He asked, turning to the hulk of a man in the corner.

Cayden didn't say anything as he sat down and Kennith got to work.

He didn't seem to like it at all when Kennith touched him but he held on as Kennith kept going.

"While we're here I need you to have something added to a tattoo" Cayden said to Kennith, who didn't look surprised.

"Alright which one and what do you want added?"

"I need Ash's name added to the tattoo on my ribs" he said, looking me directing in the eyes while saying this.

I was speechless. A tattoo was forever and he wanted my name on him.

I smiled a full teeth smile at Cayden who grinned back, showing me his dimples that I somehow missed before.

"Alright then let's do this" Kennith said, finishing with the hair cut and getting the tattoo tools out.