Chapter 11

The past months I have spent sword-fighting and mastering fire. Kai and I have sparred numerous times only to tie in the end. I eat my breakfast and continue on to training.
"Good morning class. Today, we do things differently. Each of you will spar with me and I will decide whether or not you will be moving up to level one. I will decide based off of your abilities. If you do exceptionally well, you will move up. If you do poorly, you will either stay in this level or be demoted to level three. Understood?" says Samson.
"Yes sir," we all shout.
"Good. First, Kai Summers," he says.
"Good luck," I say under my breath.
He walks up and draws both of his swords. Samson draws his oversized sword. Kai leaps first. He feints like he is going to strike, but just as Samson moves to block it, he slides and hits him in the back. Samson turns to face Kai. He strikes Kai's ribs and kicks at his legs. Despite just being hit in the ribs with a giant sword, Kai dodges the kick and elbows Samson in the jaw. Samson steps back as Kai continues to push him back. It's really obvious that Kai has improved since we got here so many months ago. Samson tries to regain an edge and swings at Kai. Kai blocks it with both swords and kicks the sword out of Samson's hand. Kai puts the blade to Samson's throat. Kai won. He lowers his blades as a bead of sweat runs down his face.
"Kai Summers, you will be moving up to level one. Next, Raphael Rizolli," says Samson. Their fight is long and drawn out. Eventually, Samson disarms Raphael and pins his sword to Raphael's neck.
"Raphael Rizolli, you will be moving up as well. You did not win, but you showed much improvement and I can teach you no more. Next," he continues down the list. About two hours later, he finally calls my name. I draw my glaive. I wait for him to make the first move. He swings his sword at my stomach. I sling the blade of my glaive into his sword and it flies back the other way. I jump and strike his chest with the blade of my glaive. He stumbles. I continue striking. One by one, I strike repeatedly. I stab at his stomach as he dodges and brings his sword to my neck. Just as I think I lost, his attention falters. I bring my glaive into his hand and he drops the sword. Immediately, I swing my glaive under him and he falls to the ground. I bring my glaive to the bottom of his throat. He puts his hands up. I offer him my hand to help him up. He takes it.
"Phoenix Winters, level one as well. Not only did you win, but you won by taking advantage of my lack of attention. Well done, well done. Next, Alex Harrison. He starts fighting. I zone out and contemplate what more I could possibly learn in the next level. How much time goes by, I don't know. I'm suddenly snapped out of my daydreams by a sounding horn.
"Hold up. Before you all go rushing off to your next training, let me announce the results. Moving up, Kai Summers, Phoenix Winters, Raphael Rizolli and Alex Harrison. If I called your name, you may leave," says Samson as I walk away. Kai and I head towards element training. "Those of you I didn't call, will be staying in level two," I overhear as I walk off.
"Dang, I really wanted Alex to stay in level two. Now we have to put up with him even more," I say.
"Well on the bright side, we can still bother him just as much as he bothers us," says Kai. We get to where we will continue training with elements. Before I can even get to my normal spot, my mother gets up and starts speaking.
"These past few months, you have all spent learning your element. For those of you who have two, you will now learn your second. For the people who only have one, you will now begin to use advanced techniques of your element. For example, water wielders will now learn to freeze water. Or earth wielders will learn to control metal. Basically, if there's something that has a property of your element, than you will learn to control that aspect, okay?"
"Yes ma'am," is the response. I continue now, really excited to get started.
"Oh, and one more thing, I have provided you each with a trainer who knows a lot about your element," she says. I get to my spot and I am shocked to see Marissa as my trainer.
"How do you already know so much about water?" I ask.
"I've been practicing with your mother's guidance. You ready?" she asks.
"Yes."
"Good. Now hit the target with water," she says. I try to do so, but all that I manage is fire.
"Nice try, but water. Not fire. Try again." I do, and determined not to shoot fire. Nothing. Again and again, I quickly find myself just as frustrated as I was when I began with fire.
"You're too aggressive. Water doesn't fly and leap, it flows calmly. Stop trying to fling it and just guide it," she says.
"I'm trying. Nothing happens." I continue, trying not to be aggressive. Hours after most people manage, I finally feel a calmer, less ravenous energy than fire inside me. It's calmer, more stable. It's so different. I focus on that, trying to be calmer and less volatile. It starts as a few drops, but eventually I get the hang of it. Finally, I manage to exert control over it.
"Great. Now try to create it, not just throwing it at a target. Just let it float in the air." I do as asked and just let it float in the air. A little bubble of water.
"Okay, now throw it, like a baseball." I try to grab it, but it bursts like a water balloon.
"No, I meant throw it by wielding it."
"Oh okay." I throw it as asked. Just before it hits the target, she moves her arms and it flies towards her. She puts her hand up as if telling it to halt. Then, she spins her hands and makes a sword out of it.
"How did you do that?"
"Do what? Steal it or make a sword?" she asks.
"Both."
"Well first, all you did was throw it, you didn't continue guiding it, which made it too easy to take it from you. Then, I just conformed it to my will."
"Well how do you do that?" I ask, more confused than I started.
"You'll just have to figure that out yourself," she says.