28

"Will this work?" I glared at Gavrial holding the potion still corked in my hand. The carriage was still moving and I didn't want to risk spilling the contents on my dress.

He snickered at the small blue bottle in my hand. "Of course it will." I laughed swatting at him lightly with my gloved hand.

"Not the potion dunce. Our story. It's holey."

He gasped at me in mock disbelief. "Drink it up." He tapped my hand. "We're two blocks away from the castle. My palms grew sweaty, at least I had gloves on. Yanking the cork at a smooth spot on the road I threw back the contents swallowing the spicy liquid in one go. "It's easy, My Love." He rubbed my cheek watching the potion take its effect on me. "You are the daughter of my mother's sister's husband's sister."

"Your aunt's sister-in-law's daughter."

"Exactly," he grinned.

"Do whatever you must to get The Prince's attention. Be careful not to cross any lines, royals can be snippy and he is no different. If he is offended you will be punished severely."

"Have you met him?" My question had cut him off but my gaze didn't leave the window where it had slowly drifted. I was in awe of the city I once grew up in and was now dead too.

"The Prince?"

"My father?"

"I have met them both."

"I wonder if there is wisdom in knowing them truly before I kill them."

He seemed to contemplate this until he realized we had arrived. His hand went to my chin gripping it and twisting it to get get a good look at the changes we had made to my appearance.

"It will do. But I look forward to when you return to your natural state and lie once more in my arms. For now, let's bag you a prince, little cousin."

I couldn't help the cringe. "Never say that again, please."

He laughed wholeheartedly. "I agree." The carriage came to a halt and the door was pulled open by a chauffeur. "Thank the devil we are not related," he whispered and winked at me before stepping out and offering me his hand.

I took it smirking at him knowing we were about to doup one of the greatest kingdoms in the land. A kingdom ruled by lies, deceit, and hate- which made this all the more thrilling.

"Captain Hallstead, witch hunter extraordinaire." An older bristly general had approached us. I could feel Gavrial wince at the title the man used. The veins in his jaw clenched as he shook the man's hand plastering on a fake smile of indifference.

"General Monteros, a pleasure."

"Who is this lovely little minx on your arm? Why haven't I seen her around before?" The General asked plainly drunk early on into the gathering. He surely wasn't making the hunt.

"This is Sable, a distant cousin of mine. From the countryside," he informed a little too tightly. "Never been to court before. She was begging to accompany me after my reprieve. The poor thing is just dying to watch the men hunt." He leaned in whispering to the general. "Looking to find a skilled husband to bring back to her rural empire." He laughed like he had told a secret joke.

He gave a half-drunken bow in my direction. "Lady Sable, will you be joining the hunt or will you be with the other ladies," he pointed a stubby finger in the direction of all the ladies gathered and gossiping around like geese with their sun umbrellas and fans to chase away the heat. She dreaded getting sucked and dragged into the court of games with the wenches that funded the deaths of her people. "drooling over the men?"

I half looked surprised and fake gasped. "Well, Good General, I was under the impression woman were forbidden from the hunt."

He snorted and pointed that stubby finger of his at himself this time. "Not if I, General Monteros says Lady Sable shall hunt with the men she shall."

Opportunity, witchcraft, fate, whatever you wanted to call it was drawing a map right before my eyes. Keeping my arm tucked in Gavrial's I stepped one foot closer to the tipsy general and put my hand on his arm. "You would do that for me? You're just too kind. What would people say? I always wanted to show off the skills I learned growing up in the countryside." I batted my eyes up at him for good measure.

"Who cares. It's a done deal. You'll hunt with the men if you so desire. Your cousin would be right by your side no doubt."

Gavrial snorted.

"Oh, But I don't even have a horse. How could I possibly be able to join?" I cooed.

"Listen, sweety, you want to join the hunt?"

I eagerly nodded up at him giving his arm a little squeeze to show my enthusiasm.

"Anything you catch is mine, one dance at the ball tomorrow night, and you can take my steed and join the boys. What do you say?"

Not even in the deepest pits of hell would I dance with this man but this was my karma and I was going to take it. "That sounds wonderful. I'll be wearing white tomorrow night, there's no way you'll miss me."

He grabbed my chin and ran his thumb over my cheek as I resisted the urge to jerk away. "Find me before the hunt. My horse will be ready for you." He tipped his head to Gavrial and departed into the throng of people.

Gavrial gagged and I couldn't help but giggle. We made our way through the groups of people chit-chatting around the garden. It was the preparty area before the hunt. Something was going on with the participants needing to gather points for a prize from the King tomorrow at the ball. General Monteros knew he was too drunk to achieve any points during the hunt. It was why he easily offered up his position for this competition. He would claim my points but I was after something richer than points.

I was after The Prince.

"Did you spell that horrid man, cousin?"

I swatted my decorative fan at him, looking over my shoulder to see if anyone heard him. "Of course not." I stared blinking once before he broke out in laughter. "It is the universe stitching forth our destiny," I said with deathly seriousness.

"Sure seemed like you bewitched him," he whispered in my ear.

"Is it so hard to believe he was smitten by my pleasing looks and charm?"

"Not at all, he was overly pliant to your unspoken desires is all."

"That's all?" I snorted. "Guess I'm lucky."

"Well, let's hope that luck doesn't run short any time soon." Gavrial nodded his head to a figure surrounded by men further back into the garden. Women were poorly sneaking by in couples to glance upon him. The men broke out into a chorus of brutish laughter at something he had said. The golden circlet upon his head of blue-black curls caught my eye straight away. He was unmissable. I was dreading the approaching encounter with the brother who knew not of me. And by the devil's hand, he never would know who I truly was.