1. Full moon

January 1805

  My name is Amara, a native of a small village located at the foot of a mountain. On that mountain, there are thick forests, And just outside our village is a place called, 'the monster's den'.

According to our history, my people were once inhabitants of the rich land in the far east, but because of the increasing abduction of our people by foreigners to sell them as slaves, my ancestors migrated to this side of the forest to protect their families from slave traders.

  When they settle down here, life was amazing and they were happy. Until some years ago when a monster began taking our people one after the other. The only way out of here is through the dark forest, where this monster is said to live in. We were stuck. Some say those who go in there never make it out alive. Men who dared to go there were never seen again.

I am the daughter of the Village Chief. My father has three wives, my mother was the first wife and I am her only child. My first stepmother has two daughters and one son while my second stepmother has two sons and two daughters. Despite having more children, they still envied my mother. After she died, they transferred all the hatred they felt for her to me. When the man I loved came for my hand in marriage, Chima, my first stepsister took him from me by getting pregnant for him. I was hurt, but I let it go. Like my mother always said, 'If it is not meant to be yours, let it go.

My stepsisters spread the rumor about me being cursed, people began to avoid me like a plague. Mothers told their daughters to stay away from me if they want to be happy. Young men were advised to never consider me for marriage. In all this, my father was too busy with his chiefly duties to care for me, but I am used to it now.
I had a large family, but I am all alone. I felt like an outcast amongst my people.

It was a full moon night, and as instructed, I kept my windows locked. Two hours before dawn, a loud, shrill scream was heard from a distance. I was terrified, it seems the monster has gotten its victim.

A while later, another loud cry was heard, this time from nearby. I recognized the voice as Onyinye's, my childhood friend. I became more terrified, it seemed the monster was getting closer. Everywhere was dark, save the light from the moon. But my eyes were wide open, and so were my ears. I wondered what would become of my friend.

.

.

Author's note:
Welcome, guys! It's so good to have you here.
Please, vote and comment with your thoughts. Thanks!