Chapter 4

Serena had her hand on her leg as she went down a narrow, stone hallway, ignoring the pain she was feeling from her cut. Sylveon followed behind, worried about how its partner was limping as they reached a wooden door at the end of the hall. The Arcean woman knocked on the door once and then paused before rapidly hitting five more times. They waited a few seconds before a small window on the door opened to reveal a set of dark green eyes. The person on the other side made a sharp gasp before the door flung open to reveal a woman in her mid-thirties with brown hair looking at Serena as if she was a ghost.

"Serena? You escaped?" she asked.

"Yes, Alexa, I did," Serena said. "Where's your sister?"

Alexa hesitated and said, "Viola's with the kids and her Pokemon right now."

Without saying another word, Serena walked past Alexa, with Sylveon walking behind. They entered a set of old catacombs where people and Pokemon were living in tents and wagons. Some of them march to the other end of the catacombs, carrying banners, balloons, food, and barrels of beer. Most of them were in colorful clothes and carrying jiggling pins, props, musical instruments, and other entertainment equipment with their Pokemon. Serena and Sylveon made their way past the crowd with many people and Pokemon looking at them in disbelief and whispering among themselves. Finally, they walked to a corner where a blonde woman a few years younger than Alexa played with some children with a Vivillon, Sirskit, Caterpie, Kakuna, and a Volbeat. The woman was smiling as she watched the children play with the Pokemon until she noticed Serena walk over to her and looked in shock.

"Serena, you escaped," she said.

"I know," Serena said as she took out the hat of coins and held it out to the older woman. "Thirty-two coins. It should be enough for some people and their Pokemon."

Viola was still staring at Serena for a moment before she snapped out of her gaze. She took the hat and looked at the coins before she answered, "Y-yes. Yes, This will put some bread on the table for a few families."

"Wonderful," Serena said with a smile.

"Serena!"

Serena turned around to see a woman around her age with short blue hair, red eyes, and wearing a teal and green dress running toward her with a Slurpuff following. The blunette pulled Serena into a hug with tears running down her face.

"Thank Arceus! I was so worried!" She sobbed. "When Jethro told everyone what happened in the marketplace, I thought we lost you!"

Serena kept her smile and petted the blue-haired woman's head as she hugged her back.

"It's okay, Miette," she said. "Sylveon and I are just fine. Aren't we, Sylveon?"

"Sylveon," Sylveon replied.

Miette broke the hug and said with her hands on Serena's shoulders, "What were you thinking? I told you soldiers patrol the marketplace."

"I know, but there were so many people and Pokemon out there who loved our performance and gladly gave us money," Serena said. "Besides, Chatot was there to alert us."

"But you almost got captured!" Miette countered before she noticed Serena standing on her leg funny. "Wait, is something up with your leg?"

"Oh, yeah. I got a cut while Sylveon and I were running away," Serena explained.

"You what?!" Miette shouted. She got down on one knee and lifted up Serena's sarong to see her leg bandaged with part of Ash's cloak. Miette gasped as if the whole leg was damaged and said, "We have to get you healed right away!"